Can a neon goby and yellow line goby be together?

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I was wondering can a neon goby and a yellow line goby be kept together in a waterbox 20 gallon cube with 2 clown fish?

would that make the tank to crowded?

thanks

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no they are extremely aggressive with each other unless they are mated, i had 2 neons in a 40 gallon and 1 had to be moved the same day to keep it safe

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say add 1 goby and 1 other small fish if ammonia, and nitrates permit it. Probably a different type of goby, springeri damselfish, firefish etc

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say add 1 goby and 1 other small fish if ammonia, and nitrates permit it. Probably a different type of goby, springeri damselfish, firefish etc
I agree with dedragon except for damsel since OP has clowns. Though springeri are probably most likely to work out of damsels.

Tank size wise Neon Goby and Yellow Line Goby would work fine, but generally two fish that look similar shaped (same genus) and occupy same habitat (I.e. 2 different sand shifting goby) can get aggressive with each other.

If you do introduce them, you're best bet is to release them in 2 separate corners and be prepared to take one of them out at the first sign of aggression.

Jay

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no they are extremely aggressive with each other unless they are mated, i had 2 neons in a 40 gallon and 1 had to be moved the same day to keep it safe
I have kept lots of neon and yellow line gobies over the years and never seen any aggression between any of them. I have kept 3 in a 12 gallon QT tank long term. I have 3 in my 50 gallon QT currently and 4 in my 300 gallon display. The shark nose gobies are aggressive in my experience.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back