Can a refugium be narrow and tall tank?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cabinet is in the peninsula style, with doors on both sides of the cabinet.

I obviously need a normal-sized sump, for protein skimmer, ClariSea, Return pump.
But, next to the sump I could fit a narrow, tall tank to make a much bigger, taller refugium than I could have in-sump. For example: 7 inch wide, 20 inch tall, 30 inches long.
Shape-wise it wouldn't be too different from the Hang-on-the-back refugiums people use for smaller All-in-one tanks, but it'd obviously be much larger.

Light penetration would not necessarily be an issue. Tunze makes wonderful underwater LEDs that are great for refugiums.

However, all the big refugiums I've seen around are quite wide, and shallow. 12 to 14 inches tall at max.

So, my conundrum is: would a larger, tall, narrow refugium perform better than a smaller, wide, shallow refugium in terms nutrient uptake?
  • Would caulerpa grow 15-17 inch tall?
  • Would cheato roll in a narrow tall tank?
Thanks a lot!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That shape would be fine. Because of the shape I would put your lights on the side of the fuge (against the glass) instead of above it (oh and I dont care for the idea of underwater lights).

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your chaeto will roll but that isn't a tragedy, I've never had success keeping it rolling

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your chaeto will roll but that isn't a tragedy, I've never had success keeping it rolling
my chaeto only tumbles when I remove a large amount of it, once it starts to grow fuller and stops tumbling I usually just flip it with a rod every few days

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the sock area in my sump as the fuge. It held 7 inch socks and is tall and narrow. Chaeto rolls like crazy and ulva is growing insanely fast. I originally had the light on the top and it all died. I moved the light to the side and all has been great ever since.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can be, mine works very well.

1601260888401.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back