Can a small WC cause STN in SPS Corals ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Alk 9 , Cal 425 , Mag 1340 I’m gonna have my LFS test my water for phosphates today since I don’t have a test kit for that
2. Total water after displacement is approx 43-45 gallons
3. My tank MH seller had LED I believe
4. Unknown
5. DT has been set up since the 15th I might get some flak for this but it’s not my first rodeo… 3 fish went in same day as setup and I’ve added another 7 since with no losses. Rock was cooking in a bin with heater, power head & SW for atleast a month and a half prior to goin in the DT.

What test kit do theyb use for phosphate. If its not a hanna ulr phosphorus or ulr phosphate, you need to get one if you want to have an acro tank long term imo

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit do theyb use for phosphate. If its not a hanna ulr phosphorus or ulr phosphate, you need to get one if you want to have an acro tank long term imo
I actually didn’t have them test for phosphate, once I saw the test for the nitrate and nitrate I already knew that was the core issue. But they sell the Hannah tests aswell as salifert so I would imagine they use one of those two for water tests when in store.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually didn’t have them test for phosphate, once I saw the test for the nitrate and nitrate I already knew that was the core issue. But they sell the Hannah tests aswell as salifert so I would imagine they use one of those two for water tests when in store.

Ask. I've never been to a LFS that uses anything other than API for testing.

I recommend Hanna for No3 and Po4, Salifert for Alk, Ca, Mg. I find that the Hanna checkers are most worthwhile for colorimetry tests -- where you try to match the color to a reference card. Which is pretty subjective.

For titration tests (alk, ca, mg), there's little ambiguity in the test kit results and they don't really take any longer than using a hanna checker. And in my opinion, there are fewer sources of error using the .

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd make sure they are not using api. Most stores will use cheap test kits for the free testing, and api doesn't read low enough when it comes to phosphate. The nitrate test is ok

OP
OP
Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to a do a little update on this in case anyone was curious. I managed to save every single one of those frags I cut and large portions of the mother colony remained intact after the chop shop. Glued everything down on rubble and let it be since. The frags are finally showing signs of life ! They have all began to transition back to color from brown and some of the frags are lookling even better & brighter than the colony was when I bought it. The colony has also began encrusting the portions where it was chopped off. Things are looking good ! P.S those are diatoms not Dino’s they have microbubbles cause I just did a water change and haven’t blown them off yet lol
image.jpg

image.jpg

Back