Can a UV sterilizer be mounted horizontally over a sump?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of buying this aqua UV sterilizer and wondered if I could mount it horizontally over the sump. I don’t have a lot of room in my cabinet but this would work if it doesn’t affect performance. Thanks for your help!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be Below the water level that the outlet is on. So if you are returning to the tank, you’ll be fine. Returning down to the Sump, No. The reason is you could trap air in the UV and cook the lamp. If there is a side outlet, I always like to tilt the UV Canister slightly to release small amounts of air. Air pockets can also start Calcium Plating.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of buying this aqua UV sterilizer and wondered if I could mount it horizontally over the sump. I don’t have a lot of room in my cabinet but this would work if it doesn’t affect performance. Thanks for your help!

As said, tilt so water flows up hill for burbing the air.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does a UV sterilizer heat up the water? I would get an 8w for my 40g breeder. Since I live in South Florida, heat is a factor, and there is no room for a chiller in my setup. I really appreciate everyone’s help!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I saw that it can go horizontal as long as the water input and output are facing up.
I have mine facing down, but that presents a unique challenge to overcome in order to get any trapped air out of the sterilizer (so I don't recommend it).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does a UV sterilizer heat up the water? I would get an 8w for my 40g breeder. Since I live in South Florida, heat is a factor, and there is no room for a chiller in my setup. I really appreciate everyone’s help!
Virtually nothing. If there is any, it's minimal and offset by your heater running less.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Virtually nothing. If there is any, it's minimal and offset by your heater running less.
Thanks! My heater only runs a few times a year when it actually gets cold here, lol.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just read that it shouldn’t be plumbed with the water input and output both in the sump. That complicates the plumbing for me. Is this an absolute?

nudave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just read that it shouldn’t be plumbed with the water input and output both in the sump. That complicates the plumbing for me. Is this an absolute?
If returning to the sump, I would plumb taking the water from the closest area to the intake, to the return chamber to reduce the recycling of the UV treated water. This is what I'm planning once I move my sump area to the basement.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered it and it’s on the way. I’m thinking of mounting it to the right of the ato reservoir. I circled the two areas I thought about plumbing it into the return pipe. I have unions so I can change out what’s there. I plan on using pvc because that’s what the rest of the plumbing is. Would this plan work?
5196EE2B-2C1E-4D58-9DCE-08CAFE236F71.jpeg

Here’s the whole sump. I don’t have a lot of room to work with. I don’t think it will fit horizontally any where.
41F7386D-3C16-41AB-85BD-E45DD4260BE6.jpeg

Last edited:

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I would do it. I know you said you prefer pvc. I would use silicone line from the pump up to the UV. From the UV to the tank would take me longer to figure out. Since it it going on up to the tank, I wouldn't be worried about air in the UV. It' should flush. I guess the mounting of the the UV could be a problem. I have a T-slot stand to bolt to, and have a set of UV brackets.
Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 2.31.09 PM.png

Mine. I'm not the best at figuring out these things. I'd probably stare at it for a month before I made a final decision, lol.
UV.jpg

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would plumbing the output from the UV into the main return plumbing to the tank cause any issues?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boss (from a lfs) often suspended the UV sterilizers over the sump horizontally. He had the drain go into the UV and then the UV's output went into the drain compartment into the sump. Most of the tanks he set up had refugiums so this arrangement helped protect the pods from the fuge to the display.

If you do this, make sure there is room to slide the bulb from the glass sleeve as most cabinets are limited for the UV sterilizer and removal of the bulb.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I would do it. I know you said you prefer pvc. I would use silicone line from the pump up to the UV. From the UV to the tank would take me longer to figure out. Since it it going on up to the tank, I wouldn't be worried about air in the UV. It' should flush. I guess the mounting of the the UV could be a problem. I have a T-slot stand to bolt to, and have a set of UV brackets.
Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 2.31.09 PM.png

Mine. I'm not the best at figuring out these things. I'd probably stare at it for a month before I made a final decision, lol.
UV.jpg
Thank you!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boss (from a lfs) often suspended the UV sterilizers over the sump horizontally. He had the drain go into the UV and then the UV's output went into the drain compartment into the sump. Most of the tanks he set up had refugiums so this arrangement helped protect the pods from the fuge to the display.

If you do this, make sure there is room to slide the bulb from the glass sleeve as most cabinets are limited for the UV sterilizer and removal of the bulb.
Thanks!!

Back