Can an older tank help cycle a newer one?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed

except for the nitrite part, that's now neutral in reefing and we don't factor it at any time/we recommend not to own the test kit for several reasons.

its harmful in freshwater for sure

just not saltwater

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all reefers have read/been told that reef tank water doesn't carry cycling bacteria (that it's on surfaces only)
I mean if it was not in the water then how does it get from thing to thing in the system ;)

Sure it is in the water - it may not live/survice there in quantity, but it is there.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've generally seen "nitrifying bacteria isn't especially populous in the water" over "the water in a reef tank is sterile". Mostly in the context of things like, if you want to move the contents of one tank into another, don't bother saving the old water- your biofilter moves with the rock, and the small amount of bacteria in the old water isn't worth the trouble.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed

except for the nitrite part, that's now neutral in reefing and we don't factor it at any time/we recommend not to own the test kit for several reasons.

its harmful in freshwater for sure

just not saltwater
People purchase nitrite test kits? I have never owned one ;)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've generally seen "nitrifying bacteria isn't especially populous in the water" over "the water in a reef tank is sterile". Mostly in the context of things like, if you want to move the contents of one tank into another, don't bother saving the old water- your biofilter moves with the rock, and the small amount of bacteria in the old water isn't worth the trouble.
It is enough to inoculate a new system is the point... I would guess so is that that comes in on a fish dumped into the tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the word bean animal mentioned about sixteen thousand times on nano-reef.com

did you invent that overflow box item

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back