Can any Kind of critter damage silicone seam on glass aquarium?

VirgisMik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few days ago heard some strange thing about that some kind of hitchhiker damaged silicone on glass aquarium. This statement appeared for me strange. Thing is, what I was told that this critter somehow managed to penetrate whole silicone seam trough inside out. Damage was only like small hole/pinhole, but what seams even more ridiculous that it went all the way trough 25mm (1") of silicone seam. My suspicions are that aquarium builder wanted to cover own gluing mistakes on tank, rather than some critter damaged seam. Thing is that aquarium started to leak few months after setup. Leaking part was on bottom side silicone, and leak was like from pin hole.
Have anyone heard about such damages by critters.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not on one spot. I have had hermits eat old worn out silicone. Nothing like what you're saying.
I always feel like they are going to jump out too when they climb the corners.

Also to the subject I can't imagine what could have enough force and be sharp enough to do that. I would think flaw in seal

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always feel like they are going to jump out too when they climb the corners.

Also to the subject I can't imagine what could have enough force and be sharp enough to do that. I would think flaw in seal
It is a flaw. Critters in our tanks don't want to tunnel through silicone. I never heard of it once.

Like I said, old silicone munched on by hermits, probably because algae was growing on it.

And, this
Only silicone damage I’ve ever heard about was damage from glass scrapers…and you guessed it, razor blades.

It's their fault, and they are blaming the animals.

Could have been an air pocket that got over looked.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They 100% can. They can leave trails in acrylic and eat through power cords. Tunze includes armor spirals to fit onto their cords for exactly that.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins can, but they don't have a probuscus to bore through it like the pinhole described. They largely won't bother scraping away at the silicone unless its old and plastered in algae.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They 100% can. They can leave trails in acrylic and eat through power cords. Tunze includes armor spirals to fit onto their cords for exactly that.
Eating or piercing an inch hole through silicone, I doubt it. Edges yes. They can destroy that with ease. Between the glass panes, not sure how they would manage that.

Edit: I would love to be enlightened.

@vetteguy53081

I am sorry to tag you. Just never heard of an urchin eating through silicone. Power cords, yes.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eating or piercing an inch hole through silicone, I doubt it. Edges yes. They can destroy that with ease. Between the glass panes, not sure how they would manage that.

Edit: I would love to be enlightened.

@vetteguy53081

I am sorry to tag you. Just never heard of an urchin eating through silicone. Power cords, yes.
Urchins can and do damage silicone. They don't pierce perfect little holes, they rasp it with their radula. The OP asked if there are any animals that can damage silicone. Was an urchin the culprit in his case? Probably not.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Urchins can and do damage silicone. They don't pierce perfect little holes, they rasp it with their radula. The OP asked if there are any animals that can damage silicone. Was an urchin the culprit in his case? Probably not.
I read his post. I know urchins damage anything they get their beak on.
But, they don't go through the panels. That was the real question. The flaw could be a silicone air bubble that was ignored
Thing is that aquarium started to leak few months after setup. Leaking part was on bottom side silicone, and leak was like from pin hole.
Have anyone heard about such damages by critters

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read something about that a while ago. The stories seem credible enough that it might be possible, but the probability of it being an issue must be tiny.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read something about that a while ago. The stories seem credible enough that it might be possible, but the probability of it being an issue must be tiny.

And those are interesting.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would take a turn to the Dark Side to achieve that feat
ZomboMeme 09092021123629.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back