Can anyone confirm this?

Think this is True?

• Total voters

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I found out some more info on the vodka and hair algae issue. Here's the explanation as best as I can relay it:
vodka is a source of carbon/sugar. Adding sugar to an aquarium creates CO2. CO2 is what people add to freshwater planted tanks- to get the plants to grow. So as I was dosing the tank with vodka to reduce the phosphates and nitrates (which it did very well) I was also feeding the hair algae. The water quality was improving but the hair algae still had plenty of fuel. Now that I'm no longer dosing vodka the hair algae is going away.

Read more: http://community.reefbuilders.com/discussion/12904/i-stopped-vodka-and-wow#ixzz3n61evswc"

Tried googling to look for a source but very hard to find if this is true or not. Not many people talking about the negatives of vodka.

Because then this might be my issue with my green turf algae. I started with vodka dosing and then switched to biopellets to get rid of this slim algae 6 months ago and lower nitrates(which it did). But ever since I can remember this green turf algae started right around when I started dosing.

Going to remove Biopellets ill see if this helps!

Any input would also be nice :)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say that I've ever heard of that one. I've been dosing vodka for a few years, and have never run into the hair algae. But, I do know that people think that vodka eats out phosphates more than it actually does, so, I also dose SeaKlear for phosphates.
So, no, i've never seen vodka grow hair algae, even before I found the SeaKlear.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some red slime growing when I dosed vodka, but took care of that with microbacter. Never had a hair algae problem from vodka.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of cyano coming from dosing carbon but never had it in my tank. Even when I upped the dosage.

And I have heard that too Reefing Madness just the on the opposite side though. Seeing the Nitrates reduce too fast and phosphate doesn't. Heard it was something like a 15:1 ratio. (Something crazy like that) Which is why people always say to feed more to reduce phosphate with nitrates. Never did though, thought it would nuke tank.

Luckily you got no phosphate and have to dose it haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back