Can anyone help a macoralgae newb identify this?

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally posted this in the hitchiker ID forum because I wasn't sure if it was an algae or not but maybe those familiar with macroalgae would have an idea what this stuff is that showed up in my tank........

Can anyone ID this for me?
I got home from a 2 week vacation and saw two new thangs in my tank. Hard for me to photograph them clearly but here is the best I could do with the larger of the two...

hitchhiker-id-jpg.814473

They consist of clusters of frilly pale lavendar 'leaves' with pale leading edges and the leaf structure really looks quite a bit like decorative kale

I think they are kind of attractive and feel like leaving them in the tank, but I thought the same thing with the first couple of aiptasia I saw and boy, do I regret that.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Any tangs in this tank or anything else that may or may not nibble it. I'd be tempted to leave it too!

OP
OP
kurtp

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Any tangs in this tank or anything else that may or may not nibble it. I'd be tempted to leave it too!
I have one yellow tang. He doesn't seem interested in it.

OP
OP
kurtp

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragons breath algae?
Thanks, that could be it. The images I found of dragons breath show a more spikey contour to the leaves than what is in my tank, but that may develop as my colony grows. If so, it guess it is not a harmful algae

OP
OP
kurtp

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that piece is growing on a rock that's been in my tanks for over 15 years, other piece is growing on the wall of the overflow. I haven't added new rockwork for over a decade. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

It is amazing what lies dormat waiting to sprout. I had Bortacladia go sexual in a tank. Three years later, I had Red Grapes growing everywhere. Go figure.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back