Can anyone help identify this algae? And what to do about it once it’s identified?

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting for a friend. His tank is a year old and he’s struggled with this for months. Trying to help him out in identifying and a specific solution for it once it’s identified. I’ve already ruled out it’s not his lighting setup and the tank doesn’t get any indirect or direct sunlight at all. Waiting for his parameters still. He needs a bigger clean up crew for sure and already passed that along. Water changes 20% every two weeks

Hoping to identify it specifically and get or do research on how to get rid of it once it’s identified. Thanks guys!!! You’re the best.

5E92C0ED-F033-444B-96FA-FBB567ECE918.png 14066284-1F34-41DC-ACBE-0AEE4C5FD94A.png

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if he’s got that much algae his nitrate and phos are probably starting at a MUCH higher level. What he’s getting from the tests is probably what’s left if the water after the algae sucks up what it needs

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if he’s got that much algae his nitrate and phos are probably starting at a MUCH higher level. What he’s getting from the tests is probably what’s left if the water after the algae sucks up what it needs
White light pic posted. Any help on identifying the algae? Looks like just green hair algae to me? Need to confirm though.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as was asked above, are those little bubble-looking things actually bubbles?

if so, I would say dinos. If not, hair or a similar type of algae

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking him if they are bubbles or not. I thought the same when he sent it to me. Standing by.
Yes he said they are bubbles and seemed trapped under the algae but once he removes or touches it, they go away.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have dinos and GHA. large water changes and some fluconazole then more large water changes. Then vibrant to maintain clean water

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back