These are my parameters this month :
Screenshot_20201123-083253_HTML Viewer.jpg

Gravity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your phosphates are high. Cyano can use atmospheric nitrogen which allows them to thrive in a high phosphate environment. The typical recommendation is phosphates less than 0.1 ppm. The use of heterotrophic bacteria (Dr Tim’s refresh/waste away, Brightwell Microbactor 7, etc...) will help to get rid of cyano once nutrients are balanced.

OP
OP
gowlers321

gowlers321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your phosphates are high. Cyano can use atmospheric nitrogen which allows them to thrive in a high phosphate environment. The typical recommendation is phosphates less than 0.1 ppm. The use of heterotrophic bacteria (Dr Tim’s refresh/waste away, Brightwell Microbactor 7, etc...) will help to get rid of cyano once nutrients are balanced.
Okay thank you :) , any other recommendations ?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bring nitrate up to 10.
Suction out as much cyano as you can.
Other microbes will then take over.

If cyano grows back repeatedly, suction it out again and use chemiclean. It’s erythromycin (even though they claim it isn’t one form of erythromycin). But it works and will kill the cyano. Read up on some of the issues people had after using it to decide if it’s for you or not. My tank was fine afterward.

Retfitter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with cyano bad. I fought it with Dr. Tim’s, chemi lean twice and finally lights out for three days. That worked and haven’t had it since.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have in a 132 gallon system as well. Trying reduced lighting, the odd siphon of the top layer of sand with vinegar bath of the sand, followed by dosing of microbacter clean and Oceanmagik phytoplankton.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s a bacteria and favors light, inorganic, phosphate and nitrate
I recommend reducing or killing the white lights for few days, siphon off as much as you can and loosening with a turkey baster and net or siphon that up, then adding chemipure elite which will reduce phosphate and nitrate and keep it in check
Clean filters the next 3 days daily

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back