Can anyone help narrow down what this coral is?

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came as a hitchhiker on my live rock. Somehow it lived out of water for the 2+ hours it took to get home, so I'd like to treat the tough little guy right.

20200218_211859.jpg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's a clove or star you might not want it, they can take over a tank. I've had to cut mine back 3 times in a yr. Can't get rid of it because the wife loves it.
Edit: Xenia was what I was thinking but couldn't remember the name. lol

OP
OP
InvertsBestVerts

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's a clove or star you might not want it, they can take over a tank. I've had to cut mine back 3 times in a yr. Can't get rid of it because the wife loves it.

3 times a year doesn't sound that bad, is there much involved with cutting soft corals? I'm used to near weekly trimming with my planted aquariums, I figured there wouldn't be much more involved in trimming a fast growing coral (and bought some Green Star Polyps under that assumption).

Joe1400

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has 8 per polyp with a feathered appearance on the more mature ones
Great, then you can be very sure that it's an octocoral , I think the next thing to check is if the polyps emerge from a flat .. mat, rather than tubes hidden in the rock, ruling out pipe organ , beyond that, I don't know how to distinguish with certainty which you have , but the proportions look like the basic Xenia which I have , pinkish brown ,not pulsing, no main stalk etc.
If your tank isn't difficult to access , it's not a hard critter to handle Imo n I'd consider it fortuitous and observe it to evaluate your tank conditions.

OP
OP
InvertsBestVerts

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, then you can be very sure that it's an octocoral , I think the next thing to check is if the polyps emerge from a flat .. mat, rather than tubes hidden in the rock, ruling out pipe organ , beyond that, I don't know how to distinguish with certainty which you have , but the proportions look like the basic Xenia which I have , pinkish brown ,not pulsing, no main stalk etc.
If your tank isn't difficult to access , it's not a hard critter to handle Imo n I'd consider it fortuitous and observe it to evaluate your tank conditions.

I can't see down into the rock all that well but I can see that all the stalks are growing out from one large base "tube".

And so far they seem to be doing great! The stalks that already had "tentacles" during the transport look pretty ragged and non uniform, but the new stalks are growing steadily and look a lot better

Joe1400

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see down into the rock all that well but I can see that all the stalks are growing out from one large base "tube".

And so far they seem to be doing great! The stalks that already had "tentacles" during the transport look pretty ragged and non uniform, but the new stalks are growing steadily and look a lot better
It should be interesting to see how it develops.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back