Can anyone help with my clown?

sheywood26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I originally got him I was told garlic brineshrimp is all he would require. I’ve seen purchased some PE Mysis on the advice of others so hopefully he will put some weight on.
Anyway I’ve noticed he has like a grey beard, he originally went a bit grey around the fins but since mysis that seems to of coloured him up. He’s eating well, doesn’t scrape on rocks and seems generally happy. This morning he’s developed white spots. His breathing also looks heavier?
60E5EFF7-8743-4BAF-8E6E-185601FA500A.jpeg
E633F907-9CDD-4E0F-B5F0-7E55472DFB7A.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I originally got him I was told garlic brineshrimp is all he would require. I’ve seen purchased some PE Mysis on the advice of others so hopefully he will put some weight on.
Anyway I’ve noticed he has like a grey beard, he originally went a bit grey around the fins but since mysis that seems to of coloured him up. He’s eating well, doesn’t scrape on rocks and seems generally happy. This morning he’s developed white spots. His breathing also looks heavier?
60E5EFF7-8743-4BAF-8E6E-185601FA500A.jpeg
E633F907-9CDD-4E0F-B5F0-7E55472DFB7A.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Your fish has three issues going on here: it is thin, has that lesion on its chin, but most seriously, has pretty severe case of ich. Can you move it to a treatment tank and treat with copper? You would need to do this ASAP to have some hope of saving it.
Have any other fish been exposed to this one? They will need to be treated as well. You might consider giving the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip when you move it to a treatment tank.
Jay

OP
OP
sheywood26

sheywood26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Your fish has three issues going on here: it is thin, has that lesion on its chin, but most seriously, has pretty severe case of ich. Can you move it to a treatment tank and treat with copper? You would need to do this ASAP to have some hope of saving it.
Have any other fish been exposed to this one? They will need to be treated as well. You might consider giving the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip when you move it to a treatment tank.
Jay

There are other fish in the tank but none seem to be affected. He’s perked up so much and the white spot seems to be sort of clearing since I treated it. I’ve done a 25% water change today.
He’s also gained a lot of colour since I started feeding him mysis and flake. I don’t have a quarantine tank unfortunately :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you treat with? Don't be fooled by ich's life cycle: when it first starts up, the trophonts are more or less all in synchrony, and they drop off to replicate around the same time. The person then thinks things are getting better, but then the new crop comes back and hits the fish even harder. Eventually, the parasites get out of sync and you see spots all the time.

Jay

OP
OP
sheywood26

sheywood26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated with API white spot treatment? I also increased temperature slightly and introduced a UV light?

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert on disease but someone once told me my clowns had I have but the rest of my tank was healthy and good honestly try looking up brooklynella because if ick treatments don’t work it could be that

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think it’s worth looking into because it looks a lot like ich in some cases but really only targets clowns, my pair died within 2 days of it it’s super fast. If you have corals I recommend treating with kick ich or ruby rally reef to cover all your bases it’s a fairly safe medication that doesn’t require a separate quarantine and can help your system as a whole

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated with API white spot treatment? I also increased temperature slightly and introduced a UV light?
Don’t increase the water temp, that is ancient advice based on freshwater ich, not Cryptocaryon. The UV light won’t hurt, but it won’t cure the fish. I think the med you added is malachite green and nitrofurazone. I know they sell it for FW and SW ich, but it is really more effective in FW. In the US they sell it as super ich cure.
Jay

OP
OP
sheywood26

sheywood26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t increase the water temp, that is ancient advice based on freshwater ich, not Cryptocaryon. The UV light won’t hurt, but it won’t cure the fish. I think the med you added is malachite green and nitrofurazone. I know they sell it for FW and SW ich, but it is really more effective in FW. In the US they sell it as super ich cure.
Jay

What would you recommend? No facilities for a quarantine tank and have a few Halloween hermits in there so copper may be out of the question?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not any really good options other than copper in a QT. Won’t the API treatment harm the hermit crabs? I’ve always pulled into inverts before dosing with malachite, so I actually don’t know if it harms them or not.
Jay

OP
OP
sheywood26

sheywood26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert on disease but someone once told me my clowns had I have but the rest of my tank was healthy and good honestly try looking up brooklynella because if ick treatments don’t work it could be that

i lost him this morning but after looking in to Brooklynella on quiet a few pages it seems you may of been right. He went really grey, his fins were looking a bit battered and he was slimy. He didn’t really itch against anything and the rest of the tank seems fine. Fingers crossed

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back