can anyone help witha issue with my puffer?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers are designed (with their teeth) to eat shelled animals like crabs, clams, etc. Mine can crush a shell up at will.
Thanks for sharing. I know they need shelled foods to wear down their teeth, but I was unaware of the liver issues. Makes me scared to keep feeding my valentini silversides.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I know they need shelled foods to wear down their teeth, but I was unaware of the liver issues. Makes me scared to keep feeding my valentini silversides.
If he is still healthy, just transition to a more appropriate food. Sometimes my porky would get really excited when feeding my eel or angler and eat the fish, but it was never his main food.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is still healthy, just transition to a more appropriate food. Sometimes my porky would get really excited when feeding my eel or angler and eat the fish, but it was never his main food.
I go for variety. Silversides is just a small part of what she eats:
1) PE mysis
2) Enriched Brine
3) Large krill
4) Clams on half shell
5) Mussels
6) Silversides

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go for variety. Silversides is just a small part of what she eats:
1) PE mysis
2) Enriched Brine
3) Large krill
4) Clams on half shell
5) Mussels
6) Silversides
I'm by no means an expert, but can I suggest a change.

When your puffer gets bigger, he will not eat the mysis or brine. It's too small. Sometimes mine would eat jumbo mysis.

I feed grocery store shrimp that I chop up and add Vitachem. I also feed mussels, oysters, and squid.

OP
OP
Garoux

Garoux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE the lump on his back is going down a bit or has completely went away can't tell that much. But does eat on his own and now eats mysis and brine. When before didn't even look at it ! Doesn't mean he's 100% but has made major improvements and doesn't even let me force feed anymore inflates to much and closes his beak

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE the lump on his back is going down a bit or has completely went away can't tell that much. But does eat on his own and now eats mysis and brine. When before didn't even look at it ! Doesn't mean he's 100% but has made major improvements and doesn't even let me force feed anymore inflates to much and closes his beak
He's still alive and making progress, that's great

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He isn't going anywhere I guess lol. The longest saltwater fish I've had. He's going to be with me until he out grows me
Go to the grocery store or fish market and see if they have squid. I buy the tentacles and cut them up. They love those and it's good for them. Brine isn't really good unless you are adding vitamins, but it's small so if he was having jaw issues he can get it down.

Keep up the good work! You now have a bond with that fish.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back