Can anyone ID these pods?

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these pods in a fishless tank at a local store and they let my siphon some off. They continued to thrive in my refugium until I had to take it down for a move.
Their swimming pattern is quite distinct and they seem to prefer low flow zones of refugia or bottom corners of fishless tanks:

@Reef Nutrition, Chad, do you have any idea which species this could be and how to culture them in numbers? They are not actually benthic in the sense that the crawl on the substrate but they seem to like being close to a substrate or other structured they can use for shelter.
They seem to be calanoid.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like larvae, maybe hermit crab or cleaner shrimp spawned

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these pods in a fishless tank at a local store and they let my siphon some off. They continued to thrive in my refugium until I had to take it down for a move.
Their swimming pattern is quite distinct and they seem to prefer low flow zones of refugia or bottom corners of fishless tanks:

@Reef Nutrition, Chad, do you have any idea which species this could be and how to culture them in numbers? They are not actually benthic in the sense that the crawl on the substrate but they seem to like being close to a substrate or other structured they can use for shelter.
They seem to be calanoid.

Their swimming pattern and size suggests a species of shrimp from the Mysida order (opossum shrimps). They can be difficult to culture as they are highly cannibalistic.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their swimming pattern and size suggests a species of shrimp from the Mysida order (opossum shrimps). They can be difficult to culture as they are highly cannibalistic.
Back then I looked at them under the microscope and they were not Mysids but were most certainly copepods and looked kind of like this:
Diaptomus GLERL 1.jpg

They had large antennae that formed a "T" outline with the body.

Next time I go to the store I need to see if I can collect a few more.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back then I looked at them under the microscope and they were not Mysids but were most certainly copepods and looked kind of like this:
Diaptomus GLERL 1.jpg

They had large antennae that formed a "T" outline with the body.

Next time I go to the store I need to see if I can collect a few more.
Sounds good. A new image would be great.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. A new image would be great.
What is interesting is that they have a highly geometric swimming pattern: straight lines with sharp directional turns that. In the video, it gets a little lost in the cloud of them but if you try to concentrate on one you can see it.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to collect a few more of these at the LFS yesterday. Unfortunately, at this point, I have no way of taking a picture of them. I got to find a good USB microscope. The closest picture I could find so far was this one:

DoubleTisbe_ab38a9ec-b1b8-4cb7-95bc-ea7d4c738b34_1200x1200.jpg

They have two long antennae that somewhat point forward so that they form a "Y" with the body.
Their tail looks bifurcated with two fairly long antennae-like extensions.
They flee from light and are always found in the corner that is farthest from the light source.

@Reef Nutrition Chad, If you are interested I can give you a few to identify them properly and see if there is potential for mass culturing them.
Their size is close to Artemia nauplii which might make them an interesting alternative for raising more tricky larvae.
And since they obviously do well reef tank environment and procreate well in refugia they are an ideal refugia seed organism.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to collect a few more of these at the LFS yesterday. Unfortunately, at this point, I have no way of taking a picture of them. I got to find a good USB microscope. The closest picture I could find so far was this one:

DoubleTisbe_ab38a9ec-b1b8-4cb7-95bc-ea7d4c738b34_1200x1200.jpg

They have two long antennae that somewhat point forward so that they form a "Y" with the body.
Their tail looks bifurcated with two fairly long antennae-like extensions.
They flee from light and are always found in the corner that is farthest from the light source.

@Reef Nutrition Chad, If you are interested I can give you a few to identify them properly and see if there is potential for mass culturing them.
Their size is close to Artemia nauplii which might make them an interesting alternative for raising more tricky larvae.
And since they obviously do well reef tank environment and procreate well in refugia they are an ideal refugia seed organism.

I would love to get a sample. Please email me so we can set up a shipment. You can use my FedEx # and ship them FedEx Ground. Cheers!

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get a sample. Please email me so we can set up a shipment. You can use my FedEx # and ship them FedEx Ground. Cheers!
Will do as soon as things are slowing down a little on my end - just started a new job and things got a little hectic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Young amphipods

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Young amphipods
They are most definitely not Amphipod larvae. Those look different:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Meant copepod

1592471613380.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back