Can anyone ID this tiny critter?

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Just curious, seeing these little snowflake like critters pooping up on glass. They are very tiny and hardly noticeable to the naked eye from far. Only notice when close to the glass. Tried my best with the photo. They are super tiny. Just curious if anyone has a name for them?

27C174D9-5644-4CE4-841F-30E80BABF1CC.jpeg CD77E5CE-EA7F-45B5-8971-A5CEAA962197.jpeg 974B8DAB-D83F-4D8B-A4B3-7EB0DF015B31.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

JGT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Won’t munch corals but can irritate them with their tentacles. Plus they can reproduce quickly. Get them out now while you can.

OP
dmy535

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Won’t munch corals but can irritate them with their tentacles. Plus they can reproduce quickly. Get them out now while you can.
Looked them up while I was waiting on your reply. The video and photos I saw look nothing like them... but maybe these are juveniles?

Zoanthids.com

JGT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looked them up while I was waiting on your reply. The video and photos I saw look nothing like them... but maybe these are juveniles?
Exactly. Bigger ones look like small feather dusters. But with tentacles instead of feathers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
They’re capable of stinging coral. It’s best to starve them to erradicate them
They favor brine shrimp as food so directing flow towards them, not at them will starve them to death

Lazys Coral House

Tired

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hydroid jellyfish, yeah. A little thing a bit like an anemone, that starts off life as a free-swimming jellyfish-shaped entity. Honestly not that big a deal- many coral species grow right over them, and they tend to die out pretty much on their own. They probably came in on a coral frag.

OP
dmy535

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Hydroid jellyfish, yeah. A little thing a bit like an anemone, that starts off life as a free-swimming jellyfish-shaped entity. Honestly not that big a deal- many coral species grow right over them, and they tend to die out pretty much on their own. They probably came in on a coral frag.
Thanks

Reefer1485

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow so that is what these are!!! I have them too and was like what the heck is that hahaha. When I would scrap it off the glass I noticed it would swim around and was like what the crap? I know that’s not a pod or look like any of the corals I have just tiny lol.

What types of R2R interview articles are you most excited about?

• Specific reef topics! (List the ones you'd like to see us cover in the thread.)

Votes: 66 38.4%
  • Specific reef personalities! (List the people you'd like us to interview in the thread.)

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Not that concerned about the topics...I just wanna see the awesome PICTURES!

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • All of the above!! ...and yes, I'll list some in the thread. :-)

Votes: 63 36.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
www.cherrycorals.com