Can anyone ID this?

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify this? They appear to be body colored bumps and the fish is scratching and flashing. So far treatment has consisted of the following:

1. Formalin bath prior to putting in QT.
2. 4 weeks of cupramine at .5.
3. Two rounds of prazipro.
4. Furan 2, kanaplex, metroplex after cupramine due to bacterial infection.
5. Now in coppersafe for ~3 week at 2.0.

Any recommendations on further treatment?
IMG_1086.JPG

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could actually be reacting to the copper itself (like a rash). My advice? Do a very large waterchange, throw in some carbon for a day or two, and observe for a few days to see if it starts to clear up.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot when I get back on Monday. I did have a period of about 2 weeks between the cupramine and copper safe where I was treating with antibiotics and I did not see much improvement. It does appear that the copper is ineffective though. Any thoughts on additional treatment options if removing the copper doesn't improve his condition?

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...copper is now out of the QT. Now just watching and waiting. Anyone think those spots could be brook?

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update....the coppersafe was fully removed on Monday through a very large water change and cuprisorb. This was verified by an API test kit. I was out of town yesterday so I was not able to get an update. Today when I arrived home I noticed that the hippo tang in QT with the clownfish now has very similar spots on him with signs of scratching and flashing. At this point I am still at a loss as to what to do. Should I continue to wait it out, or do you guys have a recommendation for a different treatment?

The large white spot is on the glass and not the fish.
IMG_1110.JPG

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I woke up this morning I checked the fish and they seemed to be getting worse. Both fish were fairly lethargic and nibbled on food, but weren't really eating like they normally do in the morning. So with two treatment options left at my disposal (CP and formalin) I chose to do a formalin dip because of what I have read about the hippo tangs sensitivity to CP. During the bath I also replaced the QT water and dosed it with a lower concentration of Formalin. (1 ml per 10g) This evening things seem to be improving. Both fish have eaten well and the spots are diminishing. I am still not sure what I am treating but for now will be continuing the formalin dips every other day.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect brook but I'm honestly NOT a brook expert and would like another set of eyes.

@melypr1985?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it could be, but the picture isn't good enough to tell.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the picture. These guys are quick! I will try and get a better picture when the light comes on again in the morning. If it is brook, does metroplex normally eradicate it? I did use metroplex every other day for 10 days after the cupramine treatment.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex is a treatment for brook. I want to see the better pictures before I try to call it anything.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the uncropped image look any better?

IMG_1118.JPG

actually, a little bit yes. It looks bacterial to me. It doesn't look good at all. I still want a better picture, but I think it would be safe to do an acriflavin dip (ruby reef rally has this in it) and start antibiotics tonight.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, a little bit yes. It looks bacterial to me. It doesn't look good at all. I still want a better picture, but I think it would be safe to do an acriflavin dip (ruby reef rally has this in it) and start antibiotics tonight.

Would you recommend the trifecta again, or maybe something else? This whole situation sounds very similar to what I've been dealing with...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend the trifecta again, or maybe something else? This whole situation sounds very similar to what I've been dealing with...

I don't know how long the trifecta was run for the first time around. Honestly, if it wasn't at least ten days of constant exposure to the meds, then yes. Otherwise it might be wise to try something else. We'll need the OP to confirm the length of treatment with the antibiotics previously along with the dosing schedule.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....antibiotics are back in the water. I performed the first round per the instructions on the furan-2 box (4 days) and added the others every 48 hours for 10 days. This time I will extend everything 10 days.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw...I do not have any Acroflavin, but I have just placed an order for it from Amazon.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since starting the antibiotics things seem to have "stabilized." The fish still show the physical signs but none seem to be doing any worse. Unfortunately with the Furan-2 in the water getting a clearer picture has not been possible. I plan to continue to run the antibiotics for 6 more days for a total of 10. I will report back then unless things get worse.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remove the meds until you post back with results. You may need to go a bit longer with them to see a full recovery. Antibiotics are notoriously slow acting in fish.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the Rally yesterday so I figured I would try a bath. While the tang was out I got the best picture I could. Most of the spots are still hard to see, but they are visible in the black.

IMG_1137.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back