Can anyone ID this???

TJflip44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this stuff is on my rock?
7B6DE96D-6B58-46CE-B41B-A63E050F9AF6.jpeg

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness! I forgot I had those- not as many or as large as those, but they went away after a few months. They never seemed to bother anything. Hopefully someone knows what they are :)

OP
OP
TJflip44

TJflip44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness! I forgot I had those- not as many or as large as those, but they went away after a few months. They never seemed to bother anything. Hopefully someone knows what they are :)
I would guess they have been in my tank for close to 6 months.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super close up picture is nice but I'm not certain if that is plant or animal. @gaki seems to offer positive hope.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not wrong it's hydroids, I had this for a little while but they disappear. and when I was searching, was able to match this only with hydroids.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not wrong it's hydroids, I had this for a little while but they disappear. and when I was searching, was able to match this only with hydroids.
Don’t believe hydroids, not hollow and nothing comes out of them. I’ve had them too. Think it’s a type of formanifera.

OP
OP
TJflip44

TJflip44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was thinking but when I have googled branching hydroids it pretty much lead me to believe I’m screwed and most people end up tearing their tank down and bleaching their rock

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t believe hydroids, not hollow and nothing comes out of them. I’ve had them too. Think it’s a type of formanifera.
can be, and I have foraminifera but mine is purple red and is much more harder on touching (calcerouse), this things wasn't that hard at all.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was thinking but when I have googled branching hydroids it pretty much lead me to believe I’m screwed and most people end up tearing their tank down and bleaching their rock
how old is your tank, and is it completely "matured"?

OP
OP
TJflip44

TJflip44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is that this stuff has been around for awhile now, it’s all over the tank (it’s small so it’s not a major eyesore if your not looking close up) and what makes me most concerned is that I find it on SPS corals that are not doing well. I have had some temp issues and some issues with other things so it could be coincidence that they are on those sps corals that are in rough shape but I want to make sure it’s not causing the problems

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is that this stuff has been around for awhile now, it’s all over the tank (it’s small so it’s not a major eyesore if your not looking close up) and what makes me most concerned is that I find it on SPS corals that are not doing well. I have had some temp issues and some issues with other things so it could be coincidence that they are on those sps corals that are in rough shape but I want to make sure it’s not causing the problems
Hard to tell from pic but on the branches are there any things that look like tiny feather duster heads?

OP
OP
TJflip44

TJflip44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from pic but on the branches are there any things that look like tiny feather duster heads?
No I don’t think so. They almost resemble sea fans but tiny.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what these are either, but i have them growing under my GSP as if they were roots. I picked it up the other day to look at the one aptaisia growing out of it that i keep trying to remove manually (that little bugger i keep touching him once with the tweezers then it retracts.One of these days ill get him. Hopefully before theres another head...)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back