Can bubble tip recover from heavy metal poisoning

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve shared my reef hobby (addiction) with my son who is currently taking care of a biocube with softies, and what was a beautiful healthy rose bubble tip.

His tank has been doing great, little refugium in the back, gfo, carbon if needed. Basically putting my super expensive sps tank to shame.

Anyway I had gotten comfortable not paying too close attention, and then the other day he told me he was worried his anemone might die and kill off his clowns.

When I checked, the nem had shrunk badly, and Zoas, toadstools were closed up. I started doing the basic water tests and everything seemed fine. So I began checking the equipment and sure enough, the temperature probe looked like it has split at a seam, and was nearly oozing rust.

So I’ve done water changes, running gac, and polyfilter. But his nem is just looking worse each day and still melting even though softies are bouncing back.

So is it too late for the nem, or should I wait and see if it can bounce back? At the moment it has moved down into the shade under the rocks.To me it looks like it’s down to a foot, a mouth and a couple of stubs curled up.

Theres no powerhead, so I’m not too concerned about it wandering around at the moment.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s the deal.
If he is stuck, he’s alive. Do not attempt to move him. Do not feed him. Change nothing.
If he comes loose or starts to fall apart, discard.
Make sure you mop up those metals.

93F5DD92-210A-4C92-A4C3-8ECA95191A1C.jpeg

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s the deal.
If he is stuck, he’s alive. Do not attempt to move him. Do not feed him. Change nothing.
If he comes loose or starts to fall apart, discard.
Make sure you mop up those metals.

93F5DD92-210A-4C92-A4C3-8ECA95191A1C.jpeg

That’s been my instinct at the moment. He has moved a bit, so at least that’s a positive. I’m just going to keep doing maybe 25% water changes, and replacing gac and polyfilters.

Any idea how long a recovery might be?

Btw...your clowns are the spitting image of my son’s.
:)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a clue, would depend on so many things it would just be a swag.
Yup, yup on your actions.

They either,
Start to disintegrate, become unstuck and bounce around, turn themselves inside out, or over time, just keep getting smaller until they are the size of a dime.

Or,
Slowly start showing their tentacles, say, a month.

In fact, they are quite resilient, when left alone.
There’s nothing other you can do IMO but provide the same exact environment you gave given in the past.

Love these clowns, a bonded pair 5 years now.
Will protect that nem and feed it to.

Best wishes

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these clowns, a bonded pair 5 years now.
Will protect that nem and feed it to.

Tell me about it. The female tries to bite me anytime my hand goes in the tank (luckily rarely). But man it hurts even thru gloves. They seem a bit out of sorts without their nem.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxidation which causes rust could be somewhat similar to the reactions that occur using GFO, so my question for you is did you test alkalinity among those basic tests, lest it is lower than normal?

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxidation which causes rust could be somewhat similar to the reactions that occur using GFO, so my question for you is did you test alkalinity among those basic tests, lest it is lower than normal?

Yeah... dkh was about 9. Salinity was spot on, no ammonia... etc. This is a tank that was running smooth for over a year.

And I say “rust”, but I have no idea what other metals were exposed. Copper, zinc, aluminum etc... who knows. It was encrusted all around where the titanium outer casing and the plastic chord meet. So metals from inside were clearly exposed.

I’d post a pic but I threw it out in a fit of rage. :mad:

I’ll probably run an ICP soon, but I’m pretty aggressively running filtration and water changes. If I do, I’ll post results for those interested.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back