Can certain wavelength of light make a Millepora Neon Pink?

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Neon Pink Acros such as Neon Pink Milleporas.
Back when Milleporas came in frequently, I can get a pink Millepora, but was not successful in maintaining the color.

Nowaday, Thanks very much to the knowledge taught by Dana Riddle in wavelength of light and coral proteins.
I would like to try again.

I wonder if Neon Pink is a florescent or a non-fluorescent protein in a Millepora?
I would like a pink millepora color like a Pink Bird's nest coral.

If Pink is a florescent protein, then I should utilize more UV wavelength to enhance the pink?
However, Dana Riddle mentioned orange and red florescent corals may prefer lower PAR levels.

Please share your ideas, thoughts, and experience for a vibrant pink.

Thank you!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun question!
The answers you seek are in
1) this paper: Blue light regulation of host pigment in reef-building corals
abstract
full text[pdf]
millepora.jpg

from Fig 1.

and 2) Dana's article discussing the paper here

I'll give more thoughts later. But that should get you going in the right direction.

OP
OP
R

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun question!
The answers you seek are in
1) this paper: Blue light regulation of host pigment in reef-building corals
abstract
full text[pdf]
millepora.jpg

from Fig 1.

and 2) Dana's article discussing the paper here

I'll give more thoughts later. But that should get you going in the right direction.

Thank you. Looks like in Dana's article: It is the the Clade C group I should be focusing on.

I went to google to see how pink wavelength is created and as best as it can be explained:
Pink requires a mixture of red and purple light—colors from opposite ends of the visible spectrum

1. AmilCFP-(Cyan Fluorescent Proteins (CFP) - Cyan pigments are blue-green pigments with a maximum emission of up to ~500 nm)
2. AmilRFP-Red Fluorescent Proteins (RFP) - A group of proteins including several different subtypes (Kaede, Ds-Red and Chromo-Red). Typically, fluorescent emission is in the range of ~580 nm to slightly over 600 nm.

Hopefully, I am on the right path......

Since I am running LED lights, I need to excite AmilCFP with UV 370-450 leds and AmilRFP with white 5500K light.

Any thoughts on this idea? Am I on the right path? Should I use more Red wavelength LED (660nm)?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink requires a mixture of red and purple light—colors from opposite ends of the visible spectrum
Hopefully, I am on the right path......

You are on the right track. Pink/purple is blue light + red light. (or absence of green)
In the paper they lay out which pigments are at play...

amilFP484 CFP (excitation - 420)
amilFP497 GFP (excitation - 477)
amilFP512 GFP (excitation - 500)
amilFP597 dsRed (excitation - see below)

the key one to the pink is going to be that red FP (597). The cyan and green FPs are generated anyway under moderate light. But the Red as you can see from the figure I pasted is generated barely at all really at ~100 PAR. At 400 PAR there's plenty of it, and it continues increasing the stronger the light gets.
They used metal halide - probably these that were 50% light in the blue. So maybe 14k?
So to generate the pink-making pigments, you'll need to blast with light especially in the blue.
Looking at the graphic closely, the amount of cyan pigment peaked at 400, but the red kept increasing with more intensity. So you could control the mix of blue/red generated by making it more intense for redder pink or less intense for bluer/purple-er pink.

Now, that's how to grow the pigments. How to get them to illuminate?
first, I'd aim not to illuminate the two green FPs much. They'll wash out the pink you are aiming for, (but a pale whitish pink could be nice). They absorb maximum at 477 and 500 so try to make your blues more below 450nm than above. The cyan FP peaks at 420 so it'll be very excitable at violet/uv.
here's a spectrum for a cyan FP from a millepora in a paper from one of same authors - as you can see, extreme violet even UV fluoresces this very strongly.
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 6.32.09 AM.png

And for the Red, here's a spectrum for a Dsred FP from millepora from the same paper.
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 6.33.31 AM.png

it looks like it would be excited strongly by the green line at ~550 in T5s and MH. It also emits widely from 550 all the way to 700 so it would look good under a little yellow/orange/red.

OP
OP
R

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 6.33.31 AM.png

it looks like it would be excited strongly by the green line at ~550 in T5s and MH. It also emits widely from 550 all the way to 700 so it would look good under a little yellow/orange/red.

Okay, after reading the paper a few times to get a deeper understanding . I think I have got the first part:
1. I need high intensity (at least 400 mol) blue light (preferably around 420nm range) to help produce cyan and red proteins.

The second part though:
How to make the red protein to fluoresce (emit)....
2. It looks like I need "a little yellow/orage/red" (550nm-630nm) range light.

The question is how much "par" or intensity do you think I need in this range?

It look like Big E is right, an ATI Coral Plus Bulb is the perfect route. However, I am wondering if I can use LEDs instead for 550-630nm range?

Thank you.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am a big fan of A. millepora although they are difficult to find locally. A LFS had a nice colony but they refused to frag it and it was gone last visit. I want to get colony and take a close look in the lab. In any case, A, millepora can contain a salmon/pink/reddish non-fluorescent protein with a maximum reflection of 588 nm. Obviously, reddish light must be available to showcase this color and violet/blue light usually induces production of this protein. There are at least 3 fluorescent proteins with maximum emission at 593nm (excitation by violet light at 405nm), another with max. emission at 594nm (exposure to intense light at 488nm or thereabout will make this protein change from red to green) and a third one has an emission at 597nm. Bear in mind these proteins are sensitive to pH and excursions outside of those normally encountered can likely cause color shifts.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, after reading the paper a few times to get a deeper understanding . I think I have got the first part:
1. I need high intensity (at least 400 mol) blue light (preferably around 420nm range) to help produce cyan and red proteins.

The second part though:
How to make the red protein to fluoresce (emit)....
2. It looks like I need "a little yellow/orage/red" (550nm-630nm) range light.

The question is how much "par" or intensity do you think I need in this range?

It look like Big E is right, an ATI Coral Plus Bulb is the perfect route. However, I am wondering if I can use LEDs instead for 550-630nm range?

Thank you.
Your reference lists this protein as a 'DsRed type'. Although I can't make a blanket statement, at least some DsRed proteins mature through chemical oxidation and are not dependent upon light intensity/spectrum.

OP
OP
R

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A, millepora can contain a salmon/pink/reddish non-fluorescent protein with a maximum reflection of 588 nm. Obviously, reddish light must be available to showcase this color and violet/blue light usually induces production of this protein.

@Dana Riddle, thank you for reply. how much reddish light would you recommend to showcase the salmon/pink/reddish color?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle, thank you for reply. how much reddish light would you recommend to showcase the salmon/pink/reddish color?
If you're using LEDs, a few cool whites should do it. If T5s, a 'reef-white' should be enough. If MH, a warmer lamp (10,000-14,000K,) I really need to get my hands on a millepora. Funny how 'fad corals' come and go. At one time, the red milleporas were the coral to have. Today, I can't find one locally. Maybe I'll win the R2R supporter raffle....

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using LEDs, a few cool whites should do it. If T5s, a 'reef-white' should be enough. If MH, a warmer lamp (10,000-14,000K,) I really need to get my hands on a millepora. Funny how 'fad corals' come and go. At one time, the red milleporas were the coral to have. Today, I can't find one locally. Maybe I'll win the R2R supporter raffle....
@Battlecorals has several really nice ones.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back