Can Coral and Fish share a quarintine tank?

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on creating a quarintine tank but want to know if I need one for corals and one for fish or can I simply place them in the same vesicle? Thoughts?

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just quarantining without any medications than yes but if you're going to use medications you should quarantine in separate tanks.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you are quarantining for.

For protazoa - no

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just quarantining without any medications than yes but if you're going to use medications you should quarantine in separate tanks.
I see, ive read up on some quarantining articles but dont know much about medication. Is it nessecary to provide fish/corals medication (of course if they are showing symptoms then I would) right off the bat? I plan on dipping.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, well im not quite sure what I plan on getting (still cycling). What exactly do you mean by protazoa? Still learning coral/fish names haha.
ICH and Velvet are Protozoa.

here are good threads to read

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple answer to this question is No.
The general reason people QT their fish and corals is to prevent Fish diseases and Coral pests from entering the tank. fish diseases can come in on coral frags and if there’s a fish in the tank with that coral it will become infected. But if the corals are kept separate from the fish (in their own coral QT system) for a long enough time period, the disease dies because it has no host. Once that has happened it is then safe to introduce those corals to you main system.
you would also then have to QT (and potentially treat with meds) your fish as well in their own fish QT system.
If you don’t do both, there’s really no point to doing either because one can effect the other.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that I don't think has been explicitly mentioned in this thread is that the effective fish medications for several very common diseases are fatal to corals and other invertebrates. You would not be able to treat your fish without killing off the corals in the tank.

And like GlassMunky said, corals can be a vector for ich, velvet and possibly other fish diseases. If you're QTing corals partly to protect your fish you need to keep the corals in a fish free system for 76 days to allow any potential parasite cysts to hatch and to let the parasites die off without finding a fish host.

If you wanted to use the same tank and QT fish and corals at different times and you were willing to read up on and follow all the steps to get medication out of the tank and anything that ever was in the tank (filters, nets, heaters, etc) then you could use the same physical tank to QT fish and corals at separate times.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that I don't think has been explicitly mentioned in this thread is that the effective fish medications for several very common diseases are fatal to corals and other invertebrates. You would not be able to treat your fish without killing off the corals in the tank.

And like GlassMunky said, corals can be a vector for ich, velvet and possibly other fish diseases. If you're QTing corals partly to protect your fish you need to keep the corals in a fish free system for 76 days to allow any potential parasite cysts to hatch and to let the parasites die off without finding a fish host.

If you wanted to use the same tank and QT fish and corals at different times and you were willing to read up on and follow all the steps to get medication out of the tank and anything that ever was in the tank (filters, nets, heaters, etc) then you could use the same physical tank to QT fish and corals at separate times.
Gotcha thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple answer to this question is No.
The general reason people QT their fish and corals is to prevent Fish diseases and Coral pests from entering the tank. fish diseases can come in on coral frags and if there’s a fish in the tank with that coral it will become infected. But if the corals are kept separate from the fish (in their own coral QT system) for a long enough time period, the disease dies because it has no host. Once that has happened it is then safe to introduce those corals to you main system.
you would also then have to QT (and potentially treat with meds) your fish as well in their own fish QT system.
If you don’t do both, there’s really no point to doing either because one can effect the other.
I see. Man quarantine is a pain, but I'm sure yields worthy results. Thanks!

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Man quarantine is a pain, but I'm sure yields worthy results. Thanks!

It certainly does and most people only see the value of quarantine after their tank crashes from disease and then it ends up being an even bigger pain and a lot more expensive so you are most certainly doing the right thing by quarantining from the start.

I have learnt from my past experiences trust me

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back