can Coraline Algae grow in tank with Dino or cyno ?

pmiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I have very slow coline algae growth, i am i wondering if its due to other nuance algae-like dino, cyno or green rock algae ( not the hair type) . My question is can coline algae thrive in with other algaes? the tank is 2 years old with alk 8.5 calcium 440 mag 1350

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I have very slow coline algae growth, i am i wondering if its due to other nuance algae-like dino, cyno or green rock algae ( not the hair type) . My question is can coline algae thrive in with other algaes? the tank is 2 years old with alk 8.5 calcium 440 mag 1350
It can grow alongside, and even quite quickly, but also will not grow on surfaces already heavily colonized by cyanobacteria or algaes. Cleanup crew helps out in that regard...

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline will generally grow poorly or not at all on surfaces of your tank that have a lot of dinos, cyano or other nuisance algae, all of which grow much faster. Your calcium and alk levels are ok for coralline. Agree with increase mag, to around 1400. In general, it likes water quality similar to what SPS corals require. Lighting is not as crucial; in my tanks it is well established in both low light and very high light locations.

Nice thing about coralline is that once it does become established, those rock surfaces aren't going to be growing nuisance algae any more.

Do you have a trusted friend who could give you some coralline from their tank? Seeding a tank with actively growing coralline algae will definitely give it a kick start.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back