Can Dinos kill all my snails?

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question for people battling with Dinoflagellates. Can Dinos eradicate a Turbo/Conch snail population?

Background:
I have a (now) severe case of Dinos which I believe (for lack of proper identification) to be ostreopsis, since my last outbreak was effectively controlled with UV lights and the Dinos went in the water column at night.

Long story short, I have a ULNS. I have been unable to detect Nitrate and PO4 (red sea Pro kit) for more than 8 months now, but growth of corals as been slow and steady with no loss. However, 2 months ago I notice a beginning of a tough to remove turf algae, that was starting to spread in the rock structure. So I had the brilliant idea to dose Vibrant (I am documenting this on a separate thread right now). This worked marvels in the first 2 weeks.... until I start seeing Dinos. I immediately put the 24W UV light in the tank and start dosing Nitrates (NeoNitro). In the past week, I saw a worsening of the condition and what's worse, I cannot see any of my 4 Mexican Turbo snails and 1 Tiger conch. Basically every snail I had in the tank.

My Cleaner Shrimp and Emerald Crab are doing fine (Was thinking of a possible metal contamination...).

54 Gal Tank + 10 Gal sump; 10 month old.

Parameters:
Sal. 1.026
pH 8.2
Temp. 80.3F ( 80-81.5F fluctuation)
Alk 6.7 dKH (dosing, but stable)
Cal 470ppm (reducing the dosage since yesterday)
Nitrates: 0.25ppm (today first observation it went up from 0)
PO4 0.01ppm

Thanks

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos often kill snails. You can add GAC and replace it weekly for now. That will help remove dino toxins. But dinos are often tough on snails. BTW, I would expect that size UV to take care of ostreopsis but the UV will need to be plumbed to and from display tank. I would also increase your phosphates. Sorry.

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos often kill snails. You can add GAC and replace it weekly for now. That will help remove dino toxins. But dinos are often tough on snails. BTW, I would expect that size UV to take care of ostreopsis but the UV will need to be plumbed to and from display tank. I would also increase your phosphates. Sorry.

Thanks,

I run GAC in a bag in the sump constantly, I replaced it a month ago, may need to do it again?
The UV (Green Killing Machine) is in the display currently. I do have NeoPhos (ordered at the same time a NeoNitro). I will slowly dose it then.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

I run GAC in a bag in the sump constantly, I replaced it a month ago, may need to do it again?
The UV (Green Killing Machine) is in the display currently. I do have NeoPhos (ordered at the same time a NeoNitro). I will slowly dose it then.
I do the same with carbon. I replaced it weekly when I had dinos. GAC does lose its effectiveness pretty fast.

Dinos are bad but you you are doing good thing. Expect lots of ugly cyano and green algaes in the future. That will be your turning point in your fight. Try a small CUC then and see if they live.

Back