Can electronic water solenoid valves be used after the RO unit?

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello per the title. I have multiple tanks fed from one RO/DI unit. I had a solenoid valve on a timer that opened numerous times per day to replenish all the tanks with a float valve in each sump for level control. Problem is, yesterday the solenoid died and all the tanks sumps were way low. I want to put a solenoid valve after the RO/DI and just before the float valves on each tank. So if any fail, only one tank is at risk of low water. I cannot find info on if these electronic valves can contaminate the purified water. Tunze says to install theirs, before the RO unit, which concerns me. So before I go and potentially leach things into my reefs, does anyone know? Thanks

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can determine what materials are exposed in the solenoid valves you're using? If they're 316 stainless steel than I wouldn't worry about it. Brass can leach very small amounts of copper/tin/zinc, but you already know all that.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 6 of the cheapest solenoids that I could find on Amazon running on my rodi system to automate it and they haven't caused any issue. I've been using them for close to a year now.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just past a year and stuck on closed. Luckily I was home and one of my daily checks is sump water level. Caught it in time. Although if I was away, all my tanks would have evaporated. So trying to find a safer way than 1 solenoid that feeds the RO, that feeds 4 tanks

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a couple from @Buckeye Hydro on my RODI DI bypass system. They have been on there a couple years with no problems. If they go out I will probably switch to and electric ball valve.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We find that many solenoids, including many sold by vendors into this hobby for RODI contact, included wetted components that should never come in contact with RODI water. Be very careful!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not I think it was a post by @Greybeard that gave a link to what he uses.

I've got three of these in service, for a couple of years now... just installed another one in a friend's tank. Reliability is excellent.

This particular model is two wire, auto return. 9 to 24vdc, it opens. While open, there's a switch on, but the motor itself is unpowered. Not generating heat, not wearing out. When power drops, it closes. Ideal for my needs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back