Can flow in qt effect the result of TTM?

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the mechanics on how TTM works in regard to disrupting the life cycle of ich but I am just wondering if too much or too little flow can effect its results in anyway?
If you have too much flow in the qt, then it might be harder for the Tomont to attach themselves to a bare bottom tank that only has a powerhead and a heater. now if you are doing transfers there is a higher chance of the tomont to be just floating in the water column and be transferred with the fish to the new tank? or the opposite since they can't encyst on a surface bc of the flow, they can't harden and reproduce. low or no flow and the higher the chance that they drop to the bottom and attach and are not floating. any advantage of one over the other or am I over thinking it?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in but if TTM with an airstone works I don't think you have to worry too much about flow. Maybe if its an Achilles or something that requires a lot of flow you can add a powerhead for the fishes benefit but not so much to increase your odds of ttm working. I've always used air stones always and never had ich make it in due to poor ttm.

william.sting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure that flow only matters in terms of oxygenation. There have been studies of high flow as a treatment. It was only effective in the case where the fish were kept in high flow - essentially in a closed loop with the intake water coming from the ocean and the output returning to the ocean.

Recirculating the same water even at a high flow rate will not prevent the tomatoes from attaching.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure that flow only matters in terms of oxygenation. There have been studies of high flow as a treatment. It was only effective in the case where the fish were kept in high flow - essentially in a closed loop with the intake water coming from the ocean and the output returning to the ocean.

Recirculating the same water even at a high flow rate will not prevent the tomatoes from attaching.

I never had much success growing tomatoes. Maybe they need more flow?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back