Can FW copepods be slow acclimated in SW?

Mubashshir Ahsan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new in saltwater keeping. Also I have a lot of freshwater aquariums. Those are full of copepods. I want to introduce copepods to my SW tank too. Can I slow acclimate those tiny lifes to SW? Or is there any easy/cheap way to add Copes to my SW tanks. Copepods seeds are not available in my LFS and I have to bring it through pre ordering them which is a bit costly. TIA!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if you can convert... but if a local reefer in your local club has some chaeto and has pods in their tank... maybe they can give you some chaeto which will seed your tank.

Otherwise... looks like ordering will be the best option.

OP
OP
Mubashshir Ahsan

Mubashshir Ahsan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if you can convert... but if a local reefer in your local club has some chaeto and has pods in their tank... maybe they can give you some chaeto which will seed your tank.

Otherwise... looks like ordering will be the best option.
Thanks. Does it comes automatically after the tank matures?

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my knowledge, after adding livestock (especially corals) copepods come along for the ride too. that's what happened to me. they should come in time, not worth dealing with FW copepods as I believe they're different anyways. if you want, you could ask somebody near you for some live rock rubble or chaeto with pods if you're super worried. also you can buy pod eggs on algae barn I believe.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not buy a 16 oz pod jar with multiple species that are meant for sw? No acclimation other than floating them for at least an hour. One of those "5000" pod jars would likely seed the tank faster as they include many life stages in there.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Does it comes automatically after the tank matures?
No, they don't come automatically as a tank matures. But they will probably show up after you start adding corals since some will hitchhike on the frags into your tank.

Back