Can get away without a sump!!

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on setting up 75 gal mixed reefer.

I was looking at all the you videos and look at the cost of a sump. It got me think why do I need a stump ? other then water volume.

Can I just get an external connected skimmer, algae scrubbers and/or algae reactor and then right back into the return pump.
also have manifold for other components.

I know I need to control the water levers, water pressure to each component and Probe locations and some kind internal filter sock.

Thanks for you input...
and
be nice, I am new at this :)

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but I'll say this:

You absolutely don't need a sump.

It's just there to hide equipment most of us would find ugly if it weren't in the sump. It also provides extra water volume as you mentioned. Beyond that, every piece of equipment you want can be put in the tank, hung off it, or plumbed in some way where water goes from the tank, to that thing and back to the tank again. Just make sure you recognize there is a slight risk with having your equipment out of the tank or sump- when water is contained in a box, so long as the box doesn't crack, it can't leak. The same can't be said of your equipment. So a filter hanging off the tank could always leak at some point (forget to tighten all the way, bumped by the dog, etc.), as such it introduces a point of failure. Sumps/plumbing remove this point of failure.

Anyway, completely optional piece of equipment. Remember, all in one tanks don't have a sump and do just fine :)

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can make a sump very cheaply. No need to go without!

Don't compare a budget build to Cadillac sumps you see here! It is all hidden anyway.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are called “Seamless Sumps” from Custom Aquariums. Like giant indestructible old time milk crate material. Dozens of sizes and configurations. You could start with just one, and sit a recirculating skimmer in it and be protected from ‘cup spills,’ etc. Just an option. Very expandable down the line.

3E2CC39B-6E9A-4682-A4D1-1FE60CD614DA.jpeg

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can make a sump very cheaply. No need to go without!

Don't compare a budget build to Cadillac sumps you see here! It is all hidden anyway.
That is an option to build a sump and I no issue with building it. I am just brain storming and learning....

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are called “Seamless Sumps” from Custom Aquariums. Like giant indestructible old time milk crate material. Dozens of sizes and configurations. You could start with just one, and sit a recirculating skimmer in it and be protected from ‘cup spills,’ etc. Just an option. Very expandable down the line.

3E2CC39B-6E9A-4682-A4D1-1FE60CD614DA.jpeg
Yes I was looking at them, They are nice.....

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but I'll say this:

You absolutely don't need a sump.

It's just there to hide equipment most of us would find ugly if it weren't in the sump. It also provides extra water volume as you mentioned. Beyond that, every piece of equipment you want can be put in the tank, hung off it, or plumbed in some way where water goes from the tank, to that thing and back to the tank again. Just make sure you recognize there is a slight risk with having your equipment out of the tank or sump- when water is contained in a box, so long as the box doesn't crack, it can't leak. The same can't be said of your equipment. So a filter hanging off the tank could always leak at some point (forget to tighten all the way, bumped by the dog, etc.), as such it introduces a point of failure. Sumps/plumbing remove this point of failure.

Anyway, completely optional piece of equipment. Remember, all in one tanks don't have a sump and do just fine :)

The filter system is in the basement, so nothing will hang off the tank. Have a lot of room. So you main reason work be flood protection and water volume ?

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 40 no sump. Young tank, but becoming sps dominant.

Every day I almost buy one. Every day I realize it's not worth 600 dollars to fix something that isn't broken

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am planning on getting a CLASSIC 110EXT 4” RECIRCULATING PROTEIN SKIMMER, so I don't need room in the sump for that and also been looking at an algae scrubbers and/or algae reactor so don't need room in the sump for a refugium. the return pump will be an extremal connect Syncra SDC 9.0 WIFI Controllable Pump , so the only think left is the socks.

Forgot the heater can be external, don't know if I need a chiller yet. but that is external. so my point

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just sounds like u need to plumb to a basement anyway so putting a big plastic box down there is very little extra work. I am not sure what reason will pop up in the future which makes you wish you had one but I bet it will happen.

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been look at build a 20 gallon long aquarium in to a sump. Reason to my wife for getting a 3D printer. Right (cough cough) . I need one to make the inlet nozzles also.

Thanks r2r for having a 3d Print forum. Read some post and just had to have a 3D Printer LOL....

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DON'T MAKE THIS HOBBY ANYMORE COMPLICATED THAN IT NEEDS TO BE! Most of us are tinkerers...we like to tinker! All you need is a tank that doesn't leak, salt water, a filter of some sort, a heater and a light. If what you've got works for what you want, enjoy. If you want it to be the focus of your life, fill all those empty weekends with something to do, a place to put your money besides stacks and bonds then get whatever you want and tinker with it and then tell us how it worked and if you liked it. Other than that, you don't HAVE to get it. just scale your expectations. (Refugiums and/or sumps can be fun though) I have come down in size and am happier. I have a 29 gal Aqeon tank with some LED light strips from China and the LOOP system bought on sale. A 40 "gal" capacity HOB, 1/3 of my tank bottom has a
$10 undergravel filter with a cheap air pump, a 1 gal Finnex HOB refugium with their fuge lite, also on sale. (if you;re going to use a refugium to serve pods for supper to your fish then it has to be an HOB) I have a small powerhead simply to keep my gorgonium happy. The result of this is it takes me 1 hour a week to change water and clean up. As you get to be my age (74) having those big angelfishes and eels isn't so tempting anymore! It's all about having fun! I have 15 corals, 12 fish, 5 peppermint shrimp and the usual CUC and everyone's been happy.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you can run a system without a sump but there are literally no downsides to running one.
There is a reason as to why most of the people that has been doing this for a good while almost always run a sump on their system, it’s just far superior and provides tons of flexibility....not to mention that your tank is an artwork, don’t take away from it with a mess of in-tank and HOB equipment.

Also, you really limit yourself in terms of available equipment if you choose to go the sumpless route.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adaptable, yes, if that's your main goal or preference. But cost wise I'm not seeing any real difference for things they're themselves calling plastic tubs.

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with Seamless Sumps I don't see the value to cost for them. $309.95 for 2 socks holder tank. ? I can make the same thing with a 10 gal tank and 2 holders for $40 to 50. They system look over price. Even a full sump it a little over $300.

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sumps are not needed you can get away with HOB equipment their are some beautiful tanks that have just run HOB. sumps make your tank more flexible at the end of the day. i built my sump for cheap went to petco dollar per gallon sale bought my display tank 40g breeder and pick up a 20g long for the sump had some acrylic sheets in the shop that i cut up for baffles. hardware store can have some glass panels cut for you or theirs companies on Ebay that sell acrylic cut kits for different size tanks that can get you a cost effective sump.

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB is out, I Just drilled the tank. :) I think I will end up with a 20g long from Petco. I seen they had a couple the other day. It will be more fun build it then, just buying a Trigger Systems Sump.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back