Can hammer coral die from not getting enough light??

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to move my hammer coral to this spot few days ago. It was on the sand bed before. The left side isn’t getting enough light unfortunately and it has been like this since I moved it... Taking them off the rock will be quite difficult now that I’ve glued it down stiff.
Should I wait for it to open and reach for the light? What should I do? ):

image.jpg

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7B48C4D0-3E25-4AA9-A76D-2759D196D7A3.jpeg
If you look next to the zoas on the bottom you’ll notice a neon green hammer I’ve had there for over three years. It will adapt. It’s almost completely shaded by the monti and pavona above it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral will certainly adapt to varying light levels, but at some point they simply won't get enough energy to 'power' the zooxanthellae and eventually die off.

OP
OP
S

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7B48C4D0-3E25-4AA9-A76D-2759D196D7A3.jpeg
If you look next to the zoas on the bottom you’ll notice a neon green hammer I’ve had there for over three years. It will adapt. It’s almost completely shaded by the monti and pavona above it.
Interesting! I guess just gotta give it more time

OP
OP
S

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral will certainly adapt to varying light levels, but at some point they simply won't get enough energy to 'power' the zooxanthellae and eventually die off.
Hope it reaches for light on its own but the head is almost pointed downward... stupid inexperience-ness of me

OP
OP
S

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my hammers, frogs and torches seem to like a higher MG level in terms of extension.
I run MG at 1420.
My tank is quite new also don’t have a lot of stock so my mg is quite high around 1440. Calcium is a little bit low atm at 385 but I ordered some product to dose it up to 400. I’m also gonna try doing water change once every 2 weeks instead of 1 week because my nitrate is too low. What do you think of this change in water change frequency?

OP
OP
S

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my hammers, frogs and torches seem to like a higher MG level in terms of extension.
I run MG at 1420.
My corals all look kinda shook the first couple days after a water change. Every time I do water change also caused a kh swing... any advice?? I’m trying to keep kh at 9 and am dosing every day

Back