Can he be saved?

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few fish today from a delivery order 2 of which where clown gobies . 1 of them hiding away and think is ok. but this other one straight since this morning after acclimatising him he was darting at the top of the tank and is colour was very off and like a dark brown and now he's just laying on his side labored breathing.
I dont think he's gonna last very long tbh and I don't think there's anything I can do and I don't have a separate hospital tank to treat.
any ideas what's wrong or has he just not travelled well over night and it was too much? this photo of him on the glass was this morning and the others is now where hes just lying on his side on the bottom.
he had put himself in a rock crevis lying down like that but i managed to get him and put him in a trap for now as dont want him dead and stuck in there .
20230216_143146.jpg
20230216_181511.jpg 20230216_181421.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a few fish today from a delivery order 2 of which where clown gobies . 1 of them hiding away and think is ok. but this other one straight since this morning after acclimatising him he was darting at the top of the tank and is colour was very off and like a dark brown and now he's just laying on his side labored breathing.
I dont think he's gonna last very long tbh and I don't think there's anything I can do and I don't have a separate hospital tank to treat.
any ideas what's wrong or has he just not travelled well over night and it was too much? this photo of him on the glass was this morning and the others is now where hes just lying on his side on the bottom.
he had put himself in a rock crevis lying down like that but i managed to get him and put him in a trap for now as dont want him dead and stuck in there .
20230216_143146.jpg
20230216_181511.jpg 20230216_181421.jpg
There is a chance that the fish ingested air in the fish bag during transport and if it can release it will recover from bouyancy
How did you acclimate fish and for how long ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on how thin the fish is, I’d guess it’s been starving for a while and is moribund. It’s best chances are to isolate it and hope for the best. You can try feeding but I doubt it will eat in this state.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the salinity/specific gravity of the shipping water versus your tank?

This species is commonly collected with cyanide, which in turn causes organ damage, and the fish often stop feeding.

Jay

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the salinity/specific gravity of the shipping water versus your tank?

This species is commonly collected with cyanide, which in turn causes organ damage, and the fish often stop feeding.

Jay
so the 2nd goby went as well . 1st kne already died very quickly after made the post and 2nd one is about dead. the specific gravity is 1.023

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the 2nd goby went as well . 1st kne already died very quickly after made the post and 2nd one is about dead. the specific gravity is 1.023
Sorry to hear. Do you know the specific gravity of the shipping water though? It could have been acclimation stress. Otherwise, I think it is either poor quality fish or collection with cyanide, or both. It’s sad, but these are “low value” fish and are not given very good care all along the supply chain, from the collector to the exporter to the retail store.
Jay

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Do you know the specific gravity of the shipping water though? It could have been acclimation stress. Otherwise, I think it is either poor quality fish or collection with cyanide, or both. It’s sad, but these are “low value” fish and are not given very good care all along the supply chain, from the collector to the exporter to the retail store.
Jay
yes they sre aren't for low price fish. the salinity in the bag was 1.023 as well. they were also slowly drip acclimatised. there's a yellow goby and 2x firefish that came with that order as well and they are doing fine its just the clown gobies and also weird that same thing happened to them both and they came in different bags as well.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were they in transit?? When you received them did you put them in new saltwater or did you use the bag water ??

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were they in transit?? When you received them did you put them in new saltwater or did you use the bag water ??
they where in transit overnight just I did the norm I emptied the bag into a container and drip acclimatised them with tank water over a long period .
really surprisingly the 2nd goby is still alive and been a few days now it's still in a floating trap atm. it still doesn't look good at all and very dark on its side alot and slow breathing. But somehow it's hanging on I just don't know if there's anything I could do for it at all to help it obviously without knowing what it is makes it difficult.
any ideas?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back