Can hermit crabs climb out of the tank?

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started reefing, and enjoying it so far as it seems like something cool happens quite often.

Yesterday one of the crabs molted. And today I found one of my hermit's shell on the floor all dried up. My friend said that they can climb on the silicone?

Anyone ever have that happen?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually saw my hermit crab climbed up on the silicone for like almost a foot, but luckily that sneaky crab could not make it to the top. So, I don’t know if it is common that they get out of the tank but I recommend you to put a lid on your tank if you don’t want to lose clean up crew or jumping fish.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sawn of mine climb up about 30cm in a corner one half acrylic the other glass, and it wasn't a small one ether. It couldn't escape even if it wanted to though as I have a glass lid. If you are worried about this I strongly suggest getting a lid

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh. Funny you say this...just the other day I'm sitting by the tank in the living room and I hear a weird gurgling noise coming from the tank...so I go to investigate

Somehow. Someway. A hermit crab, not only climbed up and over the overflow but somehow managed to get to the top of my durso standpipe and his shell as blocking part of the hole making a gurgle.
No idea how he did it or why. But hes now in my acrylic tank-no more silicone to go rock climbing on.

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually saw my hermit crab climbed up on the silicone for like almost a foot, but luckily that sneaky crab could not make it to the top. So, I don’t know if it is common that they get out of the tank but I recommend you to put a lid on your tank if you don’t want to lose clean up crew or jumping fish.
I've got a lid that I need to put together. Been holding it off since I don't have fish in there yet,. But I guess now knowing crabs are escape artists would be a good reason.

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha I can’t imagine this. I didn’t even know it was possible. Never heard of it either. Tho I would love to see it

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about this some more today and being that hermit crabs need to have access to water and land to breed... I've seen eggs on one of my hermits with no land... Could they be looking for somewhere to lay their eggs but they can't find any in our tanks? Im no expert but the more I think about it the more sense it makes and it would explain why they are so determined

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i routinely inspect my hermits' shells. confiscated this last night:

1574714095361.png

joking aside, sorry to hear about the hermit's demise! ;Inpain

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back