Can I “bake” rock?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can bake or boil rock you just need to be smart about it. If it’s wet then put cold water in a pot, put the rock in and let sit for 30 mins...then turn the heat up. Any water in the rock will acclimate and won’t “blow up”. If you bake it same story, if wet put it in a cold oven for 30 mins and slowly raise the temp.

People that have problems probably toss a wet rock into boiling water or wet rock in hot oven
I would HIGHLY recommend to any one that they do not do this! There is no safe way to literally boil rock and should never be risked especially with other ways to achieve the same goal in a responsible manner.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok. Is adding it smelly to the tank bad? 6 lbs of rock, 100 lbs already in the tank, 100lbs of sand.
240 gallons
I probably would have bleached the rock myself.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can add it wet. No need for it to be dry. I would however be a little concerned about rotting organics if it smells really bad. It's amazing how much of that stuff can still be on the rock even after being outside for a few months.

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Is adding it smelly to the tank bad? 6 lbs of rock, 100 lbs already in the tank, 100lbs of sand.
240 gallons
What is the rush then? Put it in a bucket with a powerhead , heater and lid for a few weeks to have the phosphates and nitrates diminish. Seriously, watch that video I posted by Melevsreef. No need for bleach or acids or heat, all very dangerous. A little patience went a long way for me

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with @mfinn . If the rock stinks, there is something still decaying on it. Bleaching is a safe alternative to rid dead/dying organisms from rock before adding it to the tank.

Muriatic acid works too. Do it in a well-ventilated area. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so you've heard NO baking, boiling, or any kind of "cooking" the rock.

You have dead rock that needs to be cured (allow the death within to decay and leach out.) If you have a large tank, you can get away with putting a small amount of rock into your DT to do the cure and cycle. Otherwise, I'd do what @Heavymman suggested....cure it in a five gallon bucket of saltwater with a powerhead....actually heater isn't necessary, assuming in a heated house. Do a couple water changes every week of two, and in about a month or two the phosphate and nitrates are low enough to add that rock to your tank.

NO BAKING OR BOILING!!!! PLEASE

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooking live rock is just a dump. People have come so scare of live rock. Most of the pest that come into your aquarium come in on coral frag's from vendors. I have had a tank pest free for a year and then add a frag of a coral and a month later see an aptasia. Live rock in the filter for the aquarium.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the possible risks of heating the rock what are you hoping to accomplish from it? If it smells and has something rotting on or in it and you dry it out it may stop smelling bit whatever was rotting is still there. When you put it in the tank it's wet again and will be just like before you dried it.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar is my preferred method. Dissolves less rock and it is safer.
This is new, dont hear much about. How long on the soak and @ what concentration?

I personally like to add a little acid to clean out the pours of the rock, scub or powerwash to remove organics, soak for a week then in it goes.....Bleach concerns me more and forces me to do a several week soak

"Don't Cook rock DUM-DUM"....j/k
upload_2019-1-18_7-27-57.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is new, dont hear much about. How long on the soak and @ what concentration?

I personally like to add a little acid to clean out the pours of the rock, scub or powerwash to remove organics, soak for a week then in it goes.....Bleach concerns me more and forces me to do a several week soak

"Don't Cook rock DUM-DUM"....j/k
upload_2019-1-18_7-27-57.png
Just like most things, the stronger you make it the more rock and organics will dissolve. Use a light concentration for a little cleaning, you can use it straight on something that is heavily coated. You may need to change it more often than you would acid because it isn't as strong but that is also one reason it is safer.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I probably would have bleached the rock myself.

I bleach rock and then rinse well and then soak the rock in water with dechlorinator. I will sometimes also give a vinegar bath and then rinse well and dry.
What people do not realise is live rock has tons of critters that were living in the rock like worms and sponges. Rinsing the outside still leaves these in there to rot and pollute your reef.
They need to be removed and bleach is the best way I know.

Problem with baking the rock who knows what pollutant it can put in the air and some like palytoxins can make you extremely sick or even die.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar is my preferred method. Dissolves less rock and it is safer.

Much slower to work than muriatic acid, though. You can strip all of the organics (and a bit of rock, but not much) off in a few hours with muriatic. I like seeing all the organic matter denatured and collecting as a thick brown foam on top of the water. It's true vinegar is safer, because it's a more dilute solution of a weaker acid. But they're still both acids and you can dilute muriatic down to whatever concentration you want to use.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back