Can I add a Foxface rabbitfish to a 54 gallon DT?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way they look and also the fact that a Foxface rabbitfish consumes algae. The question is whether it will be too large for a 54 gallon DT and also will it be compatible for the other fish I already own.

Currently I have the following in my tank.

2 Gladiator clowns
6 line wrasse
Yellow Assessor
Orchid dottyback
Pajama Cardinal
Banggai Cardinal
Blue green Chromis
Striped blenny

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Foxface from my 34 gallon aquarium. A year later it’s in my 90 gallon. Grew from about 2 1/2 inches to 5 inches now. Great community fish - never bothers any of my other fish. Got along very well with my Copperband. Well have to sell him though when he gets a little bigger and out grows this aquarium.

7AC185E3-6EA5-4404-896F-858478B12203.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are one of my favorite "working fish". If you can source a juvenile, you should be able to keep it for a few years. But yes, it will outgrow a 54. I need to rehome mine now from an 80G shallow. IMO, they aren't as needy for volume as tangs, but pretty close.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with Zalick. i purchased a small 3-4" for my 150 in october, 2020. He is easily 7" now and could definitely use more room, but if you have somewhere to take him once he gets too big and you can easily get him out go for it. They are great algae eating fish.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smallest one I saw in my LFS was about 3 inches long, I am so tempted!!!
Go get the Foxface. You will really enjoy the fish. One day you will have to sell him but he will have a great home until that time.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small one I saw was about 3 times the size of the other fish in my tank. Will it look out of place?
I find that the diversity of fishes’ sizes, colors, and shapes make the most interesting aquariums. Kinda like what you find naturally in Mother Nature!

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small one I saw was about 3 times the size of the other fish in my tank. Will it look out of place?
Mine is about 8” and MUCH bigger than the rest. I agree with Peter. Diversity in color and size is nice.

just be prepared to rehome or get a bigger tank when it grows!

mine eats out of my hand. Super cool fish. Generally peacefully but can nip other fish.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hand feed mine as well. Right now I am feeding him (and my now giant orange shoulder tang) from the fish net to prepare them for the rehome project. I think they will be super happy in this 12' long space.

IMG-4978.jpg

Do take some care when handling foxface as there is some toxin in those dorsal spines. Nothing lethal just rather painful. A very peaceful fish though.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely you could enjoy a juvenile for awhile, they do grow pretty quick. If you're up for upgrading or rehoming him when the time comes then go for it. A healthy foxface is a hot commodity and you'd have no issue getting the money you spent on him back or trading a local hobbyist for something you want/need.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hand feed mine as well. Right now I am feeding him (and my now giant orange shoulder tang) from the fish net to prepare them for the rehome project. I think they will be super happy in this 12' long space.

IMG-4978.jpg

Do take some care when handling foxface as there is some toxin in those dorsal spines. Nothing lethal just rather painful. A very peaceful fish though.
Can it injure another fish with the dorsal spines?

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can it injure another fish with the dorsal spines?
They can give them a nice prick, but I've never seen one injured from it. It usually happens once or twice when they are being bullied in new tanks and the offender learns pretty quick. A foxface would never use them offensively from my experience.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a similar sized tank and i have a One Spot on order. Its a baby and i plan to let it grow out for a bit and handle my Ulva issue. If i dont upgrade in time i have tons of local reefers that would take it in a heartbeat. Ive done it before with Yellow Tangs when they were cheap...

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized tank and i have a One Spot on order. Its a baby and i plan to let it grow out for a bit and handle my Ulva issue. If i dont upgrade in time i have tons of local reefers that would take it in a heartbeat. Ive done it before with Yellow Tangs when they were cheap...
Agreed any tank proven healthy worker fish will have no issue finding homes. In most cases you'll get more than what you initially paid for the fish.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed any tank proven healthy worker fish will have no issue finding homes. In most cases you'll get more than what you initially paid for the fish.
Yea its the other fish that its a bit harder to rehome but somebody always ends up wanting a heathy fish! Like i had a poor little bullied bangaii that nobody seemed to want for like a week lol, finally somebody gave a few frags for it!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: I now have a beautiful Foxface swimming in my DT. If and when it grows too large for the tank I will find a new home for it. Meantime it is absolutely beautiful and is swimming allover the place.

IMG_6243.jpeg
Nice how big is that guy?! 3 inches?

Back