Can I add a sump to the Fluval Flex 32.5g?

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval 32.5 that I plan on completely redoing since I was unaware the stock items are not that good (this caused my tank to crash). I am wondering if I am able to add an overflow leading to a sump as a little add-on from the normal filtration. I would have it as an extended part of the tanks normal filtration, then the return pump would just go right back into the tank. I was also wondering what good
clip-on lights there are for lps and soft corals, and if the Aquatop Xyclone protein skimmer is too big for this tank if the sump is 10g. Anything helps!

The sump would have extra filter media, a protein skimmer, a refugium, and a separate compartment for an ATO.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely add a sump and if you look around you can probably find someone who put one on the same tank.

Since you have the baffle system in the tank you can just use that and put a pump inside that pushes water to the sump, then a return pump inside the sump back to the tank.

As far as skimmers go you can get a good hob one, but you would need to remove the top from the tank, or cut a hole for it. If you don’t have a huge stocking/bio load you can avoid a skimmer - just make sure you keep up with your water changes and have a good flow at surface to prevent any protein film

lights I would recommend an AI Prime, but they’re a little pricy. I’ve used Nicrew ones in the past and they’re actually not bad for growing some of the easier beginner level corals. You can get the 30watt nicrew for like $70 on Amazon.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely add a sump and if you look around you can probably find someone who put one on the same tank.

Since you have the baffle system in the tank you can just use that and put a pump inside that pushes water to the sump, then a return pump inside the sump back to the tank.
I would personally not do that. Pumps do fail and if current goes off the one above will continue to siphon water down while the other will not move the displaced water up.

But yes, it is definitely possible to add a sump to the flex.
I have the same tank, I got rid of the lid and made a DIY acrylic lid. I added an HOB overflow (DIY) without drilling the tank and connected the tank to a 15g sump where I keep the macroalgae and the return pump (no skimmer for now).
The water level of the DT is monitored by an optical switch: if for some reason the HOB overflow stops working (never happened in 3months) the return pump will turn off until the level in the DT is on check again.
If there is a power outage the DT level will drop few cm and then will stop flowing once the overflow top level is reached. Obviously the water level in the sump needs to be adjusted accordingly.
ATO sensor is placed in the return section of the sump.
Using the acrylic lid enabled me to use decent lights (1 viparspectra and I just ordered a kessil).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back