Can I add another wrasse along with my 6 line?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the pecking order has my Electric Indigo Dottyback as "top dog" and it totally intimidates the 6 line who is fairly small and measures about 1 inch

At an inch you have a fair chance of adding a halichoeres where it will be accepted by the sixline as they tend to mature into nasty fish but start out less aggressive. I personally think the starcki and dotty are more the issue at this stage but you will likely have real problems introducing anything in the future (they should all be fine together as they grow though).
If you do try adding something then an acclimation box is a good idea.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that shock list....most fish may get attacked. Seems like you have plenty of fish anyways imo.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive added 4 clowns , Kleini butterfly and lawnmower blenny with 6 lines and absolutely no issues in my 93 cube
On big tank, added twelve fish, mainly tangs and 2 more tangs from RAP yesterday and not a single issue

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are exceptions, you are asking for heart ache if you add another wrasse with a six line in the tank. That's assuming the dottyback doesn't take issue with it.

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54 gallon DT which contains a 6 line Wrasse plus the following fish.
2 Gladiators Clowns
2 blue/green Chromis
Electric Indigo Dottyback
Starcki Damsel
Banggai Cardinal
Pajama Cardinal
Yellow Assessor

Can I add another wrasse to this group and not worry too much About how they will get along?

I had a 6line in my 29 gallon biocube along with a pair of clownfish and a tailspot blenny.

Never had an issue with any type of aggression.

The tailspot went carpet surfing one day through a crack in the lid.

I replaced it one week later with a starry blenny, and that wrasse lost its ever loving mind. Not only did he terrorize that blenny non stop, he started attacking the clowns any minute he wasn't after the blenny.

Tore apart the tank to get him out, put him in a timeout breeder box for a few days, he was just biding his time. The millisecond I put him back in he went right after the clowns again.

i didn't have my frag tank set up yet, so nowhere else to put him, tore apart the tank again and back to the LFS the next day.

Weird that he was never aggressive at all before.

I think putting another wrasse in the mix would be a problem.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6 line has only been in my tank a few weeks.

Get rid of him and replace him with a Halichoeres Wrasse (ie Melanurus, Red Lined, H.Claudia Christmas Wrasse or Yellow). You will be much happier in the long run and will have far more flexibility with fish stocking options. 6 lines are generally ticking time bombs and once they hit puberty they can be pescacidal maniacs (not just other wrasses either) and are a pain to try and catch. The only time I recommend them is for folks who have a smaller size frag tank and just want one bright and colorful fish for pest removal.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of him and replace him with a Halichoeres Wrasse (ie Melanurus, Red Lined, H.Claudia Christmas Wrasse or Yellow). You will be much happier in the long run and will have far more flexibility with fish stocking options. 6 lines are generally ticking time bombs and once they hit puberty they can be pescacidal maniacs (not just other wrasses either) and are a pain to try and catch. The only time I recommend them is for folks who have a smaller size frag tank and just want one bright and colorful fish for pest removal.

My thought process is headed in that directio, especially a Melanurus if I see another appearance of the flatworms.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought process is headed in that directio, especially a Melanurus if I see another appearance of the flatworms.

Be aware that Melanurus are also very prone to eating other CUC members though (I say this as someone who has had one for the last couple of years). They will leave corals alone so that is a plus.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line is pretty chill it probly just depends on yours and how it does with other fish. Mine ilnever even bothers with other fish even new ones. A new wrasse though I probly would not do personally but you never know could work out might not till you try.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that include baby trouchus snails?

My experience with melanurus is not not like @Jesterrace but I've only kept two different melanurus over the last 8 years. Neither ever bothered any CUC including baby trochus snails. I raised a lot of them to nickle size and gave them to people in my reef club. Understand they can eat clean up crew and smaller snails are most vulnerable.

If you want a Halichoeres wrasse and flatworms are a factor I would recommend considering a H. chrysus. Very under rated fish and they are very unlikely to work on the CUC. Their adult colors are really beautiful. They are also very laid back and tolerate other wrasses well.

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54 gallon DT which contains a 6 line Wrasse plus the following fish.
2 Gladiators Clowns
2 blue/green Chromis
Electric Indigo Dottyback
Starcki Damsel
Banggai Cardinal
Pajama Cardinal
Yellow Assessor

Can I add another wrasse to this group and not worry too much About how they will get along?
I would stay away from adding another wrasse w/a 6 line. Very aggressive. Mine was constant w/leopards.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that include baby trouchus snails?

Yes, very likely to eat just about any kind of snail. The only ones I have had great luck with my Melanurus are the Conch snails (literally the only snail I have seen my Melanurus just give up on in frustration and now he pretty much ignores them).

Jesse571

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sixline killed all additions to my 75g. Got rid off it eventually after expensive fatalities. Now I have 3 peaceful wrasse living together. My advice from my experience is no don't do it. As said they have a rep for a reason.
Someone out there will have it working sweet for them, maybe your the exception to the rule but most the time it ends nasty.
What peaceful wrasse do you have please?

Back