Can I add any corals while my lights are off?

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am starting a 20g nano reef tank using the method described by BRStv. I am using live sand, dry rock, and Dr. Tim's to cycle and adding 2 clowns immediately. I will then leave the lights off for 3-4 months to try to limit algae growth as things get established. My question is - can I add any corals during this stage with the lights off? Also, I am planning to add some inverts when I see a bit of algae start to grow. Anyone have advice on timing of adding inverts/clean up crew during this type of cycle? Thanks so much!

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral will die with no lights. The fish may not be happy as well. Everyone goes through the uglies. Make sure your tank has plenty of ambient light for the fish but this sounds too aggressive to me.
The tank is in a living room with lots of indirect sunlight so they won't be in the dark. You think I should just go lights on right away? What is the best way to deal with the "ugly phase"? Does the algae just eventually die off?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd wait to let the tank establish a bit before adding corals.

The 3 to 4 months in the dark would be a good amount of time to let your tank prepare itself for coral.

The algea will need to be removed by hand or a worker.

Controlling p04 and n03 will help with algea growth.

Try not to rush things ;)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am starting a 20g nano reef tank using the method described by BRStv. I am using live sand, dry rock, and Dr. Tim's to cycle and adding 2 clowns immediately. I will then leave the lights off for 3-4 months to try to limit algae growth as things get established. My question is - can I add any corals during this stage with the lights off? Also, I am planning to add some inverts when I see a bit of algae start to grow. Anyone have advice on timing of adding inverts/clean up crew during this type of cycle? Thanks so much!
I would not add the clowns until it is time to turn the lights on. They are not lab rats and should not be left in the dark simply to fulfill a desire to have fish in a tank.

This whole "must add fish day one" trend is so bothersome. You are doing nothing but gambling on water quality... let things get established and take one step at a time.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is in a living room with lots of indirect sunlight so they won't be in the dark. You think I should just go lights on right away? What is the best way to deal with the "ugly phase"? Does the algae just eventually die off?
They will be in the dark for the most part. Do them a favor and wait.

As the tank matures the diversity of organisms increases. Some come and some go, but the overall numbers expand. Nuisance algae, diatoms, etc. will need to find a balance. Adding fish and food will add to algae driving nutrients. By NOT adding fish for that first few months, other things will have time to come to equilibrium and you will be better off long term.

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add the clowns until it is time to turn the lights on. They are not lab rats and should not be left in the dark simply to fulfill a desire to have fish in a tank.

This whole "must add fish day one" trend is so bothersome. You are doing nothing but gambling on water quality... let things get established and take one step at a time.
I understand your point, but there is utility in having the fish in the tank because they are creating ammonia for the bacterial populations to become established.

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. Do lots of reading while you are waiting for the tank to mature. Cross each path as you get to it.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your point, but there is utility in having the fish in the tank because they are creating ammonia for the bacterial populations to become established.
You don't need to add a bunch of ammonia with live fish, esp if you are going to be fallow for 3/4 months letting things mature. (A wonderful idea btw).

The nitrogen cycle will establish itself and once established will grow (or recede) to balance with the nutrient input to the tank. "Live fish" are not needed. a dead shrimp, a sprinkle of food, a scoop of live sand, or a booger will start the process.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, I’ve never owned a RS Max Nano but if the ReefLED lighting fixture is controllable via the RS app you should be able to ramp up light intensity from minimal to beginner coral levels over your 3 - 4 month maturation period.

If you’re using dry rock you’ll have a better chance of controlling initial algae growths by adding herbivorous inverts as needed throughout this process.

New gen LEDs have amazing features that often seem under utilised.

Good luck, hope you go well with whatever path you take.

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, I’ve never owned a RS Max Nano but if the ReefLED lighting fixture is controllable via the RS app you should be able to ramp up light intensity from minimal to beginner coral levels over your 3 - 4 month maturation period.

If you’re using dry rock you’ll have a better chance of controlling initial algae growths by adding herbivorous inverts as needed throughout this process.

New gen LEDs have amazing features that often seem under utilised.

Good luck, hope you go well with whatever path you take.
Hey man, this is actually one of my other main questions. I have an older model of the Max Nano with some sort of AI brand light. There are zero buttons to control it and it doesn't seem to be able to connect to the ReefBeat app. Any chance you know how to control this thing? Or where I can find a manual for old Max Nano models?

EDIT: I've figured out that it is an AI prime HD LED. I believe...

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited the 4 months before turning on lights and adding corals. Fish don't need light. The ambient room light is fine for them during the day. The process made my ugly phases very manageable since I had good biodiversity and microfauna built up.

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited the 4 months before turning on lights and adding corals. Fish don't need light. The ambient room light is fine for them during the day. The process made my ugly phases very manageable since I had good biodiversity and microfauna built up.
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear it worked out well. What corals did you start with? Would you recommend them for someone new to coralkeeping?

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. And you definitely seem to be rushing.

Last edited by a moderator:

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since most corals are photosynthetic it wouldn’t be good to add them during a multi-month dark period. The ambient light likely wouldn’t be enough for even the lowest light demanding corals. Unless you look at non-photosynthetic corals like sun corals or some gorgonians, but they can be finicky and the broadcast feeding would likely be annoying to manage in a tank that you are trying to let get established.

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since most corals are photosynthetic it wouldn’t be good to add them during a multi-month dark period. The ambient light likely wouldn’t be enough for even the lowest light demanding corals. Unless you look at non-photosynthetic corals like sun corals or some gorgonians, but they can be finicky and the broadcast feeding would likely be annoying to manage in a tank that you are trying to let get established.
Thanks for the advice! I think I will stick with a 4 month lights off period and then slowly turn on my lights, add a clean up crew and finally some corals.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need light either -- you are hardy and adaptable..

Let me put you in a dark room with barely drawn shades for a few months just so that I can be happy that I have a person nearby.

Good grief.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back