Can I add any corals while my lights are off?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear it worked out well. What corals did you start with? Would you recommend them for someone new to coralkeeping?
Basic simple softs and LPS. Zoas, shrooms, acans, hammer, toadstool, duncans there so many choices but just go slow and focus on stability. You will still have ugly phases but it's just part of tank maturing.

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic simple softs and LPS. Zoas, shrooms, acans, hammer, toadstool, duncans there so many choices but just go slow and focus on stability. You will still have ugly phases but it's just part of tank maturing.
Thanks for the recs! I know some Zoas can release a toxin that can be dangerous and read about ways to keep them safely. With these other species that you suggested, are there any similar concerns or unique issues I should be aware of? I will research them independently over the next few months, but just curious for an experienced reefers gestalt.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recs! I know some Zoas can release a toxin that can be dangerous and read about ways to keep them safely. With these other species that you suggested, are there any similar concerns or unique issues I should be aware of? I will research them independently over the next few months, but just curious for an experienced reefers gestalt.
Only a few species of palys may have toxin not zoas. They have been aquaculture so many times that there toxin defensive mechanism disappears. I have like 12 different subspecies of zoas and palys in my tank with not issues. Leather corals have turpenes also. It's always best to run a bag of carbon in a reef tank in my opinion

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Warning for those arguing and making things personal.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back