Can I add bacteria to tank WITH fish and antibiotics

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after getting some bad advise, I ran a qt in a not cycled tank without adding bacteria. I was pretty much told that copper and any other meds would kill off any beneficial bacteria so it wasn’t necessary in a prophylactic treatment tank. Issue is, while nitrates and nitrites have been steady at 0, ammonia has been an issue despite large daily water changes.

After much contradictory advise and daily water testing, I’ve decided maybe adding bacteria is a good idea. Only issue is, the tank has fish already in it and they’re on antibiotics.

So, do I

A) continue w the monitoring and water changes to keep ammonia in check or

B) add the bacteria to the tank w fish and antibiotics already in it

The bacteria I have is “Seed bacteria” by aquavitro. Instructions say to dose daily for 7 days. It specifically says to use w water changes, when introducing new fish, and when medicating am aquarium.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What meds are in the tank specifically?

There are definitely certain things that will prevent nitrifying bacteria. Copper won’t have an impact as well as most mild antibiotics. Methylene blue and NFG will nuke a biofilter though.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What meds are in the tank specifically?

There are definitely certain things that will prevent nitrifying bacteria. Copper won’t have an impact as well as most mild antibiotics. Methylene blue and NFG will nuke a biofilter though.

Is it just me or is there a ton of contradictory information out there? Some things are a matter of opinion, I get that. But aren’t facts facts? This is getting frustrating. Thank you Mr. Rocks. I’ll take your word for it. Partly because I’ve been following you and you clearly know what you’re talking about, and partly because I’ve seen the evidence in my daily parameter testings.

The fish have gone through copper and are now just on General trio powder. It’s a knock off of the active ingredients in the meds used to achieve the trifecta. Kanamycin Sulfate, Metronidazole, and Nitrofurazone.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or is there a ton of contradictory information out there? Some things are a matter of opinion, I get that. But aren’t facts facts? This is getting frustrating. Thank you Mr. Rocks. I’ll take your word for it. Partly because I’ve been following you and you clearly know what you’re talking about, and partly because I’ve seen the evidence in my daily parameter testings.

The fish have gone through copper and are now just on General trio powder. It’s a knock off of the active ingredients in the meds used to achieve the trifecta. Kanamycin Sulfate, Metronidazole, and Nitrofurazone.
None of those will kick the biofilter I can speak from experience on that. I use it frequently.

Yes there always was/is/will be tons of contradictory info in this hobby unfortunately. :)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cycled qt and meds is probably different from dosing bacteria in meds. Some strains included in any bacteria additive will be more susceptible than others, and while in a water column these susceptible strains will be exposed them more than inside media. But many other strains in the supplement will be unaffected.

That said only while using cp at higher concentrations have i found this effect to make my qt take significantly longer to cycle.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those will kick the biofilter I can speak from experience on that. I use it frequently.

Yes there always was/is/will be tons of contradictory info in this hobby unfortunately. :)

I see. So, would you say I SHOULD add the bacteria then? I just don’t know if it’s ok to add it to the tank while the fish are in there. I’m thinking dilute it in a separate container w tank water, then dump it in? I’m just so so scared of doing the wrong thing. My good intentions have not been paying off lately. It seems that the more i do, the more potential for things to go wrong.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cycled qt and meds is probably different from dosing bacteria in meds. Some strains included in any bacteria additive will be more susceptible than others, and while in a water column these susceptible strains will be exposed them more than inside media. But many other strains in the supplement will be unaffected.

That said only while using cp at higher concentrations have i found this effect to make my qt take significantly longer to cycle.

That makes sense. Thank you. I was told copper will 100% wipe out bacteria so no use cycling the tank or adding bacteria. Either way, the fish are out of copper now.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: more confusion. Help!!!

Parameters before water change
Ph: 8
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0.25

60% water change, dosed antibiotics, added bacteria. Tested parameters again and NO CHANGE. Uhhhh. WHAT?!? I’ve been testing and water changing daily. Literally. And dosing same antibiotics for over a week. Only change was the addition of bacteria. A 60% water change should have brought ammonia to 0.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: more confusion. Help!!!

Parameters before water change
Ph: 8
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0.25

60% water change, dosed antibiotics, added bacteria. Tested parameters again and NO CHANGE. Uhhhh. WHAT?!? I’ve been testing and water changing daily. Literally. And dosing same antibiotics for over a week. Only change was the addition of bacteria. A 60% water change should have brought ammonia to 0.
What ammonia test kit? I find the api kit likes to give .25ppm erroneously. The seachem badges are your best best in saltwater.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ammonia test kit? I find the api kit likes to give .25ppm erroneously. The seachem badges are your best best in saltwater.

I have 3 tanks. All have badges and all get tested w API kits. All 3 ammonia badges show no ammonia. 2 of the 3 tanks show no ammonia w API test kit.

Ming_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you guys don't mind me asking questions in an old thread, instead of staring a new one..

Just set up a new small 5 gal QT with ~2.3ppm copperpower and a scoop of kanaplex every 3 days. I have dropped a small bag of Matrix from my display tank when i set up the QT.

I like to feed my fishes, so i am having a bit of a nitrate problem in the QT. Having to change water every 3 days is a bit of a chore as i have to get the copper level right before changing water.

Just to check, is it ok if i dose some nopox and microbacter 7 in the QT with the medication? Hopefully this will increase the days between the water change..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back