Can I add chaeto to a new tank

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a source of nutrients for the chaeto to use. I would wait until after the cycle. and once you have detectable no3/po4 (10/.1ish range) then you can go ahead and add it in.
but monitor your levels, as highly lit chaeto on a long photoperiod can really suck out some nutrients in a hurry. there is a really good @Bulk Reef Supply video on it.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question should be do I NEED to add chaeto to my system. Just my 1 cent after removing mine after 2 years, it did more harm than good. Marine Pure or a Brightwell brick will be a more stable option and allow for more time and money
spent on the display. If you get into trouble then it is a very effective tool, when NEEDED

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The question should be do I NEED to add chaeto to my system. Just my 1 cent after removing mine after 2 years, it did more harm than good. Marine Pure or a Brightwell brick will be a more stable option and allow for more time and money
spent on the display. If you get into trouble then it is a very effective tool, when NEEDED
Can you expand on the more harm than good? Chaeto (and other macro) is practically the cheapest and safetest method of nitrate and phosphate control coupled with increased pH.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you expand on the more harm than good? Chaeto (and other macro) is practically the cheapest and safetest method of nitrate and phosphate control coupled with increased pH.
I agree w/Algae Barn. Marine Pure has been a source for aluminum with Triton tests. I'ld stick w/ Cheato

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, Its your tank have fun with it !!!!!! .... But I will tell you what they dont & Best of Luck to everyone!

Marine Pure has been a source for aluminum with Triton tests. I'ld stick w/ Cheato
I have been running marine pure for over three years and have done several Triton tests so put that dog to bed.

Chaeto when not cared for (nutriants) will decompose and add nutrients back into the system. Its a balancing act between stripping all nutrients and keeping the tank and macro healthy. Thats why I question adding chaeto to new systems that dont require this level of filtration. I was spending more time in the sump than the display. TIME
Did I mention cleaning the skimmer pump weekly and the sump monthly?
(why did brs remove theirs?)

So how do you monitor All the nutrients the the tank and chaeto needs ? Triton of course $50 plus additives MONEY

Having a fuge is a Fun aspect of this hobby but it is also a hobby all its own and requires time and money and can have real consequences on the system if not properly cared for.

Skimming 24/7 along with a bag of carbon and Marine pure and Im dosing nitrates or over feeding to keep food in the water column. A little GFO when needed. (once) I am enjoying just looking at the tank instead of a ugly sump after a long day

Picks of the good bad and uglies

20180408_204706.jpg
20180815_154210.jpg

1565645670784.png

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I have been running marine pure for over three years and have done several Triton tests so put that dog to bed.

Chaeto when not cared for (nutriants) will decompose and add nutrients back into the system. Its a balancing act between stripping all nutrients and keeping the tank and macro healthy. Thats why I question adding chaeto to new systems that dont require this level of filtration. I was spending more time in the sump than the display. TIME
Did I mention cleaning the skimmer pump weekly and the sump monthly?
(why did brs remove theirs?)

So how do you monitor All the nutrients the the tank and chaeto needs ? Triton of course $50 plus additives MONEY

Having a fuge is a Fun aspect of this hobby but it is also a hobby all its own and requires time and money and can have real consequences on the system if not properly cared for.

Skimming 24/7 along with a bag of carbon and Marine pure and Im dosing nitrates or over feeding to keep food in the water column. A little GFO when needed. (once) I am enjoying just looking at the tank instead of a ugly sump after a long day

I have heard GFO removes Al. Sorry for this list of questions, I am trying to learn more about this Al and Fe situation. How much and long have you had Marine Pure? GFO? Tank size?

I've never had good luck with chaeto or calcified macros. Dosed nutrients and have a 20K LED. Chaeto always died quickly. I have had a lot of success with gracilarias and caulerpas. The other stuff so so much more attractive than chaeto in my opinion. Why not go with it?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done a lot with gfo other than when fuge was dieing off it spiked the tank. I have been running marine pure for over three years. I removed it when the fuge had bottomed out nutrients and corals were pailing out.
I only have 3 large chunks of live rock and 1.5 gallons of MP in the overflow and Im still a day away from dino's.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back