Can I add coral yet, and what kinds?

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got no saltwater experience and a 2 gallon cube. Bad idea? Yup. Still doing it? Absolutely.

I've actually got the tank set up and cycled right now, but now I'm rethinking what corals I want. Originally I was just going to do just softies, but looking at the size of the tank, I don't think that's going to be practical. This is an 8" cube, full of rock. There's not much growing space, especially if something decides to grow fast. So now I'm considering some LPS as well.

What I'm considering altogether:
-Duncan?
-Acan / micromussa
- Blastomussa
- candy cane
- zoa garden
- green star polyps?

As far as I can tell, everything looks good. No more diatoms, now I'm getting red encrusting algae, but not huge amounts of it.
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
.25 Phosphates or less
Only thing that worries me is- Nitrates, which were at 20 after a 50% water change.

Being that I am impatient and impulsive as they come, can I go to my LFS and get something? Pleeeeease?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greens Stars will take over tank, Duncan is ok, but.....you didn't say what kind of lighting. Plus, with no skimmer,(good luck you won't find one for that size), you will have to do water changes every other day.

KHunter0622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine without a skimmer. Do a 25% water change once a week. Top off with fresh as needed. Stop using the test kit you’ll drive yourself nuts and micromanage to disaster. Using a good salt and 25% water change once a week will keep everything where it needs to be. The tank will start to take care of itself as live rock and sand start to establish. If you’ve done fresh side think along the lines a of fully planted tank with no filter just water movement and you’ll have a blast. Go get your corals and some clean up crew and have fun!

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greens Stars will take over tank, Duncan is ok, but.....you didn't say what kind of lighting. Plus, with no skimmer,(good luck you won't find one for that size), you will have to do water changes every other day.

Lighting is an adjustable height Coralife 50/50 20 watt cfl. Right now it's at it's highest point, nearly 10" above the tank, and it seem like a lot of light right now. So far I've been pretty good doing weekly water changes, but if need be I can bump that up. There's an effective ~1 gallon of water, so a 50% water change is just half a gallon

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do green star polyps they grow very fast and that all you will have in the tank.

But as others have said what kind of lighting do you have on the tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With likely limited light and flow..... xenia, zoas and mushroom and a small leather

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do green star polyps they grow very fast and that all you will have in the tank.

Lighting is an adjustable height Coralife 50/50 20 watt cfl. Right now it's at it's highest point, nearly 10" above the tank, and it seem like a lot of light right now.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with Duncan, Acan, Blasto for LPS. I doubt you will see much growth and you will definitely have to lower the light so it is more intense. As far as softies go zoa would be good, I would stay away from Kenya tree due to how fast they grow and spread. I would also stay away from most palys due to I find them to grow faster than a zoa and would prob take over the tank as well

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tanks can grow SPS pretty well because you can do a 100% water change after feeding them super heavy. You can get away with a lot of things that just are impractical for the bigger tanks.

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tanks can grow SPS pretty well because you can do a 100% water change after feeding them super heavy. You can get away with a lot of things that just are impractical for the bigger tanks.

Interesting thought, but with a non-existant skill level? ...ok, I'll admit I've been looking at Cyphastrea and even Montipora, but that last one I'm definitely not sure on

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using rodi? It would help. You could also consider making a hob refugium. Otherwise for coral if you want gsp i would isolate it on an island to avoid having it take over same for zenia. But with a small size i would avoid it.
I would not rush anything. I basically let my tank cycle for like 5 months and it was my first tank. Before adding corals. Do you know what you want to stock it with yet?

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using rodi? It would help. You could also consider making a hob refugium. Otherwise for coral if you want gsp i would isolate it on an island to avoid having it take over same for zenia. But with a small size i would avoid it.
I would not rush anything. I basically let my tank cycle for like 5 months and it was my first tank. Before adding corals. Do you know what you want to stock it with yet?

I'm using distilled water, as it's the most practical in my situation (I need ~1/2 gallon a week). Space outside the tank is also an issue as much as inside, so alas, I can't do HOB, sump, or canister additions.

Not doing any fish, and my clean up crew is all the inverts I'm adding. Coral list is in the first post.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you do Green Stars, keep in mind that Red Sea Aiptasia-X will keep it in check, just put a line of it along the edge of the mat and it won't spread for 2-3 months.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back