Can I add dry live rock and live sand to a 2 year old tank?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2 years old and after many monthly water changes along with siphoning the sand level is getting really low. I was considering add some Carib Sea Agag-Alive “special grade’ sand to the tank.

In addition I was thinking of making a change to my aquascaping and adding either Carib Sea‘s live rock or their dry live rock.

Will I run into any issues doing either of the above?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you can add all the sand you want. But I don't think there is any need to do monthly water changes. Half of that would be totally enough. I do about a quarter of that

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the sand, pre rinse it in tap water until its totally clean, spotless no cloud, then final rinse in RO

then you can add the sand.

adding the new rocks wont hurt they're inert and not subtracting from any valued surface area. the sand is massively cloudy if you don't pre rinse it, for sure you'll want that pre rinse or you risk the ten threads we have on file where they clouded the tank for two weeks and all the corals stayed extremely mad and the whole tank looked terrible.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^What they said^

If you are getting a shipment of fresh living rock from the ocean you might need to evaluate the health of the critters living (or dead now?) on the rock and make sure that you don't add a huge load of dead and dying critters and plants if you do get real live rock. If its fresh, quick rinse and add is fantastic.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me “dry” live rock sounds like it was recently real wet live rock and is being shipped dry. Am I understanding that correctly? If so it will have a bunch of dead decaying organisms . I would circulate that rock for a few days in a separate container of salt water before adding to the tank. I would probably even change all the water in that separate holding tank after a couple days.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me “dry” live rock sounds like it was recently real wet live rock and is being shipped dry. Am I understanding that correctly? If so it will have a bunch of dead decaying organisms . I would circulate that rock for a few days in a separate container of salt water before adding to the tank. I would probably even change all the water in that separate holding tank after a couple days.

This is the rock I am considering.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the rock I am considering.

"infused with living spored bacteria". Sounds pretty cool. I would still circulate it in a separate bucket of salt water for a few days just in case some things have died. Point a power head at the top for oxygen to keep the living bacteria alive.

TN_Huskymama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this before with no issues. I rinsed the LIFE rock with clean water before adding. Not sure if I was correct in doing this? But no issues none-the-less :)

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no such thing as "dry live rock"

because if it's dry, it's not live.

Arag alive and all that are not true "live rock" or "live sand"

You can definitely add any or all of that to your system. Live, dry, none of it will crash your system.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck is dry live rock lol. the product sounds like regular dry rock, and then dipped in those "nitryifying" bacteria bottles. Don't know how legit it really is but sounds like it's just marketing... i would love to know how well it works tho.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the op’s thread.
Of adding new sand on top of existing established sand ,

will it trap detritus or any other nasty below the surface causing issues later ?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck is dry live rock lol. the product sounds like regular dry rock, and then dipped in those "nitryifying" bacteria bottles. Don't know how legit it really is but sounds like it's just marketing... i would love to know how well it works tho.
supposed to help prevent nuisance algae

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I would buy into what sounds almost too good to be true .

so by using this dry live rock there is no cycle ,
Add rocks , livestock and ready to go ?
no, it simply speeds up the cycle, not "negates" it.

The basic question comes down to this,

Do you like the look of carib sea life rock versus the white dry rock?
In my opinion, the life rock looks better but it also kind of masks nuisance algae which can help you gauge the stage of "maturity" of the rocks. I wouldn't mind starting a tank with it if I had the money.

Secondly, do you want a faster cycle? It may be a week faster to cycle... as a guess. Well, if I am housing fish or inverts I would want a faster cycle. However, I believe corals can be introduced to a tank that's not completed cycling. The ammonia does not harm them the same that it does a fish or snail.

So, it's not some exorbanent claim they are making, like "no cycle" which is your words.

Glass box dreaming: What do you consider to be the most desirable brand of aquarium on the market right now?

• AquaForest

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cade

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • CDA Fish Tanks

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Eshopps

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • JBJ Aquariums

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 23 13.7%