Can I add Furan-2, Kanaplex or Metroplex to Seachem Cupramine?

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We received a Coral Beauty Angelfish exactly two weeks ago from an online vendor. Nothing seemed to be wrong with her during the 1st week of monitoring in a 7 gal QT with a super tiny clownfish from the same vendor. Yesterday, the clownfish unexpectedly died with no outer symptoms that I could see other than it was a prematurely small fish. Ammonia badge shows safe. Parameters seemed to be within reason for a QT tank. (pH 7.8 or so), Nitrates below 20

Today, the Coral Beauty is swimming at the top with her mouth up to the surface. She's not swimming much just treading water. I've given her a 77 degree, aerated FW dip for 1 min in a bucket, then moved her to a 3.5 gal (77 degrees, 1.026 SG, air stone and foam filtered tank) Ruby Rally bath for 75 min.

Now she's in a different 7 gal tank with .66 ml of Seachem Cupramine, a 30-50 gal Aquaclear HOB filter, 4 marine pure balls in HOB, foam filter and air stone. Current Temp at 76.7

...I still don't see any signs of Brooklynella, Ich nor Velvet? Should I add Metroplex, Kanaplex or Furan-2 to the Cupramine cause I'm honestly shooting in the dark here?

I have a Hanna Copper Checker so I'll test the water in the morning to see how much Cupramine is actually in the water but it said add the balance of Cupramine after 48 hours. I figured that might be OK since dwarf angels are sensitive to the ionic copper but should I mix other meds too?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of aeration in the original QT? Medications deplete O2 in the water and may have been low. Wouldn't take long to deplete the O2 in 7 gallons.

OP
OP
DieHardPhotog-Reefer

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of aeration in the original QT? Medications deplete O2 in the water and may have been low. Wouldn't take long to deplete the O2 in 7 gallons.
I believe so. It had an air stone in the original QT with enough bubbles to make a mess on the outside edge of the tank.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well
I believe so. It had an air stone in the original QT with enough bubbles to make a mess on the outside edge of the tank.
And no sign of flukes when doing FW dip? I'm just trying to come up with reasons for being close to the surface. Seams as if trying to get more oxygen. Maybe someone will come that has other advice to help save your fish. Good luck and I hope he pulls through.
#reefsquad @Humblefish

OP
OP
DieHardPhotog-Reefer

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well

And no sign of flukes when doing FW dip? I'm just trying to come up with reasons for being close to the surface. Seams as if trying to get more oxygen. Maybe someone will come that has other advice to help save your fish. Good luck and I hope he pulls through.
#reefsquad @Humblefish
I was worried that it was Velvet so I made the mistake of grabbing the 1st clean container which happened to be all white. Neither my nor I could see anything and the angel was really struggling so we minimized the FW from 5 to 1 min before moving forward with the Ruby Rally bath. Looked in the container but couldn't see anything that looked like the pics on here.

The Angel died this morning while in a QT of Cupramine.

Thanks for all the info and help everyone. I think we are done. I can't explain it all and it's not just the fish's death. I really, really, really love hobby and the Marine reef life but for several reasons, we're going to let it go for now. Maybe God will allow us to try again in the future but apparently, this isn't the right time.[emoji24]

Equipment close out coming up as soon as I can get our LFS to take in my loved ones. 5 Oscellaris clownfish, one young Kole Yellow Eyed Tang, one young Six line Wrasse, a Foxface Rabbitfish, 3 black mollies, and a spotted Blood Red Cleaner Shrimp.

OP
OP
DieHardPhotog-Reefer

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DieHardPhotog-Reefer Are all your livestock in the DT doing well? If so, I think maybe we just need to refine your QT techniques... so don't quit.
@Humblefish Thank you for your encouragement!

The DT system has five fish in it. Three of them have displayed stringy poop (of mixed colors) so I'm treating them with Metroplex, Focus, Selcon & GarlicGuard. Other than that, everything seems to be about norm. Salinity 34, Nitrates 2, Alk 8.0. Phosphates .36 (due to extra feeding for medication), Calcium 419, Magnesium 1400.

There are still 3 newer fish left in QT (Kole Tang & Foxface together in 20 gal), Six Line Wrasse in 7 gal. So far they seem to be eating regularly but so was the Coral Beauty before she died.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are still 3 newer fish left in QT (Kole Tang & Foxface together in 20 gal), Six Line Wrasse in 7 gal. So far they seem to be eating regularly but so was the Coral Beauty before she died.

One change you might consider making is switching over to chelated copper (e.g. Copper Power) and using the Hanna checker: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/coppe...truments-high-range-copper-checker-hi702.454/

I'm not knocking Cupramine, but some people just seem to have better success when using chelated copper. And the Hanna checker allows you to accurately test within +/- 0.05ppm accuracy, so you can be sure: a) The fish are being treated within an acceptable therapeutic range b) You are not overdosing (poisoning) your fish in QT.

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add Furan-2, Kanaplex or Metroplex to Seachem Cupramine?
I have a brown tang in cupramine for 2 weeks already and today I see a bump on his body like some sort of bacterial infection. Searched and found this title but no answer.

PookieGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anecdotally, i recently had to use metro + Kanaplex + furan 2 along with cupramine. I had a clown develop a nasty infection while undergoing copper treatment. I don’t know how advisable it was but it was fine.

There are others on the thread more knowledgeable than I and hopefully they will chime in.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back