Can I add more sand to a tank that’s not mature?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 1.5 months old and I only purchased enough sand to fill about .5 inches.

I noticed a lot of bald spots and the sand level looks really low, but my tank is still maturing.

Should I wait about 6 months before making this addition?

I purchased oolite live sand and im going to add more of the same brand. And only add live sand.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand isn’t moving from the pumps, it’s just too low and patchy.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I think I actually have 1/4 inch of sand…too low!

thank you!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if oolite sand isnt moving at all i think the flow is most likely too low in the tank, if it is a reef tank, fowlr different story. If adding more i would probably do the dry sand instead and just rinse very throughly. If there is livestock in the tank then go very slow and over the course of a few weeks add a couple cups of sand every day or every other day.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if oolite sand isnt moving at all i think the flow is most likely too low in the tank, if it is a reef tank, fowlr different story. If adding more i would probably do the dry sand instead and just rinse very throughly. If there is livestock in the tank then go very slow and over the course of a few weeks add a couple cups of sand every day or every other day.
Well it actually was moving recently, but only because I added more power heads and was dialing them in. I only mentioned that the power heads didn’t cause it because I didn’t want anyone to say that it was my sand’s fault.

I have 30x turnover in my tank. It took some work to get it right but placing the power heads lower pointed up was much better than head on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back