Can I add more wrasse to my tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 5 wrasse established in a 4x2x2 tank, would it be okay to add another 1-2 in?
the wrasse already in there are: 2 Lubbock’s (I got told they would be fine together and have been fine together for the past 4 days), 1 Australian Scott’s, radiant, and a Jade wrasse and a naoko still in a grow out tank the wrasse I want to try have a go at is a flasher and/or anampses/leopard wrasse in total there is already 7-8 fish in the tank

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 yellow wrasses, 1 M. bipartus and 1 yellow banded possum wrasse in a 80 gallon together wit around 45 more fish. I use my refugium as an acclimation box and it works perfect when I add new fish. Newcomers will be in the refugium for at least a week - often 2 - 3 weeks. Lot of hiding places, pods and spill over of food when I feed the DT. This has worked like a dream - the wrasses (and other aggressive fish) do not bother at all when I introduce newcomers. The old fish do not see the newcomers before introduction in the DT - it is enough that they have been in the same water for a while (smell ?) An acclimation box can work too and it not need to be transparent - just the you get the same water. If you use a QT - just do WC with help of the old DT water rather often during the last 2 weeks of QT.

I think that this is the most important step to take when you introduce new fish in order to prevent bulling, stress and diseases

Sincerely lasse
Thanks for sharing! I rarely use an acclimation box but from knowing how aggressive a Scott’s wrasse can be I probably will when adding a leopard and/or an anampses wrasse although, I added a Lubbock after feeding the other established wrasse and the new Lubbock has been absolutely fine so I might have lucked out with a mild Scott’s wrasse

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my plan is to try a flasher and see how it goes (I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t have a tank it could be in for a few years), try an A. neoguinaicus and an M. ornatus, then probably just let those wrasse all settle and see if there’s enough room for one other, if you guys have any thoughts on what flasher could stand it’s own against a 3” Scott’s please give me the name (and scientific name if possible since that’ll help me figure out the common name over here in the UK) but also ideas on other anampses and leopards that could do well in the tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my plan is to try a flasher and see how it goes (I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t have a tank it could be in for a few years), try an A. neoguinaicus and an M. ornatus, then probably just let those wrasse all settle and see if there’s enough room for one other, if you guys have any thoughts on what flasher could stand it’s own against a 3” Scott’s please give me the name (and scientific name if possible since that’ll help me figure out the common name over here in the UK) but also ideas on other anampses and leopards that could do well in the tank
Also- I know this is a lot of questions however there’s one more:

If I got a female A. neoguinaicus will it become a male even if there’s no other female in the tank? I like the males but I don’t want to try getting one because it would probably be older than a female

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back