Can I add new clownfish to a tank with a bonded pair?

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 orange clownfish that I've had for 7 years in a 75g tank. I'm upgrading my tank to a 215g and moving my fish soon, can I add 2 new young black and white clown fish to the 215g tank at the same time? Will they fight?
Could I add my older clowns first, let them find their new territory and then add the new ones?

Or should I just keep the peace and stick with my 2? I don't want to upset the pair. The other 2 have been in a quarantine tank for about a month, they are not mine, but they are there together without any other fish, I'm assuming they are now a pair? Not sure how to tell.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish in qt are a pr noe.

Adding all the fish simultaneously should be fine. Ocellaris/percula varieties are usually pretty peaceful.

There my be some jockeying for prime territories the first day or two. But this can be lessened by adding them to opposite sides of the tank.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up on this...it didn't work...now I have a Biocube 16 set up for the 2 younger clowns that I couldn't part with!!

They were fine for a day, the new little ones stayed on one side an the older on the other, they met, hung out for a bit and separated again, no issue..then all of the sudden, one of the new ones starts spending all of it's time with my older female and chasing away the other new one that was supposed to be his/her future partner..lol I guess he liked older women... the other new clown was being forced out and isolated. So I moved them into a QT again that same day. Bought them a Biocube an the rest is history..they are now a bonded pair. :)

Back