Can I buy 1 year supply of Trident reagent and use it 1 year later if I do not open the package until 1 year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason that I ask this question is because I want to know if the reagent can still be used after 1 year if it is not opened and not exposed to air. In other words, can it be stored for a long time if not opened.

PmCarbrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As per the FAQ released when the trident was reagent has a shelf life of one year when sealed.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 you don’t know how long it sat in a truck, waited in a Neptune facility to be packaged, and how long it sat in the lfs. My lfs has exp dates on some reagents like acropower etc. not yet on the apex reagents. They should have an exp date on the box when it is packaged to make it a bit easier to track :)
Trouble is, you don’t know how old the reagent is when you get it. Mine has a sell by date on the box but not a use by date. Kind of annoying actually.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that expiration dates are something of an inexact science. I'm still using my API nitrates kit almost 5 years beyond the 'expiration'. It's just as inaccurate now as it was when new LOL.

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you guys start bottling the new reagent that fixed the rising cal problem?
I just bought my 6 months reagents not too long ago and I can see my Calcium test results go up and down 0.10-0.30. I am not dosing calcium.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the reagents don't expire , most items are give expiration date so you are trained to see the date , toss it and buy more .

Most of the world doesn't even use expiration dates , this is an American thing. For example, in Europe most cheeses have no expiration date , in US everything has one. It is like how they even put expiration dates on Tylenol , nothing changes the chemical composition of the Tylenol. I doubt the reagents expire and if so we should see someone prove it on a video of some sort , would love to see the explanation.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a reagent that had an expiration date a month before I ended up using it. I think it was a batch of the original reagents, that had dates on the boxes. Anyways, I used it for half a month then my feed line got clogged and trident stopped testing. Since I was lazy and it was my last set of reagents, I just left it standing there for around 6-8 months maybe even longer after opening the bottles. I then decided to get my trident up and running again, and after cleaning I tried using the old reagent to see if it would work. Used my tank water to calibrate it against my hanna checker and salifrert. The trident didn't skip a beat, the testing was spot on, I was checking my trident against my hanna every few days or so. So from now on, I am going to use all of the reagents until they're bone dry rather than throwing away nearly 1/2 a bottle when the trident tells you to. I think these reagents don't expire as fast as Neptune would like you to think.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a reagent that had an expiration date a month before I ended up using it. I think it was a batch of the original reagents, that had dates on the boxes. Anyways, I used it for half a month then my feed line got clogged and trident stopped testing. Since I was lazy and it was my last set of reagents, I just left it standing there for around 6-8 months maybe even longer after opening the bottles. I then decided to get my trident up and running again, and after cleaning I tried using the old reagent to see if it would work. Used my tank water to calibrate it against my hanna checker and salifrert. The trident didn't skip a beat, the testing was spot on, I was checking my trident against my hanna every few days or so. So from now on, I am going to use all of the reagents until they're bone dry rather than throwing away nearly 1/2 a bottle when the trident tells you to. I think these reagents don't expire as fast as Neptune would like you to think.
I couldn't agree more

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back