Can I clean Apex probes with citric acid?

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks and Thank you for any responses up front.

I purchased a used Apex wifi yesterday from a local reefer and he had the probes sitting in water to keep them wet.
I want to clean them before I put them in my tank since they have algae all over them. I have read that you need to keep the PH, ORP and Salinity probes wet or they can be damaged and also that you can clean the probes with vinegar as stated in many posts.

My question here is can I clean them in a citric acid solution instead of vinegar? I like to stay away from vinegar as much as possible and find the citric acid does just as good of a job. I'm just not sure if it will affect the probes in anyway.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, citric acid is fine. I soak my Apex probes in citric acid for about an hour, gently scrub with a soft toothbrush, and rinse with RO/DI.

If you have any programming tied to the probe readings, be sure to disable it during cleaning.

OP
OP
DiefsReef

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, citric acid is fine. I soak my Apex probes in citric acid for about an hour, gently scrub with a soft toothbrush, and rinse with RO/DI.

If you have any programming tied to the probe readings, be sure to disable it during cleaning.
Great thank you! I thought it would be fine but wanted an opinion from someone who does/hasdone it.
Thanks Again!!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back