Can I clean my Tunze Stream pumps with bleach?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50/50 Vinegar and water is my usually go to but I've got some algae build up which vinegar isn't much chop for. Is it safe to use bleach and in what quantity?

Thank you.

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use bleach. Maybe use 100% vinegar or muriatic acid if it is really bad.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50/50 Vinegar and water is my usually go to but I've got some algae build up which vinegar isn't much chop for. Is it safe to use bleach and in what quantity?

DON'T DO IT! I believe a combination of acid (like vinegar) and bleach create a deadly gas. Do some research, and let me know if I'm wrong here.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you.
Yes, safe to use bleach. Couple capfuls per 10 gallons

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use muriatic acid, ever, on a pump. With acids an plastics the concern is not pH it is electronegativity, a strong acid will form hydrogen bonds with plastic and cause it to swell, while it is imperceptible the change in tolerances will create vicious cycle of tighter tolerances, more heat and friction, more calcium build up, more acid soaks and so on, the plastics mass can be increased by as much as 15% by exposure to strong acids, stick to mild organic acids. You can use bleach, but I would stay to not more than 1 part bleach 20 parts water. For the non electrical parts and non magnetic parts, like the front housing and clamps, you can use your dishwasher but follow the recommendations of the dishwasher manufacturer for where you would place plastic dishes and cups, usually the middle rack or use a low heat or drip dry setting. Keep in mind that heat will destroy the magnets, they generally will start to demagnetize above 120F.

sreid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you.
I just tried a new method to me anyway. Good growth of green algae and Coraline; on my pumps. Started with one cup of bleach to 2 gal of water ran pumps about 15min In that solution. Rinsed Pumps fresh water, then 1/2 hour in citric acid 1:5 cups two gallons DI water. Pumps are spotless after quick rinse is RO water. No scrubbing at all.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back