can i completely remove the stalks on a hammer coral

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a hammer coral and I want to remover the stalks and glue it down on a clean plug so i can do a coral dip and add it to my DT. So my question is can i remove all the hard skeleton down to the flesh or will this kill the animal

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a hammer coral and I want to remover the stalks and glue it down on a clean plug so i can do a coral dip and add it to my DT. So my question is can i remove all the hard skeleton down to the flesh or will this kill the animal
If you remove all of the skeleton, you will indeed kill the coral. You can potentially cut some of the hard skeleton, but I would leave at LEAST an inch below the flesh.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove all of the skeleton, you will indeed kill the coral. You can potentially cut some of the hard skeleton, but I would leave at LEAST an inch below the flesh.
dang every square inch is encrusted with vermentin snails

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cover the ends of the Vermitids with crazy glue. Ugly, but effective. Besides, a happy hammer Coral will just about completely cover the base when open.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this is covered in snails. Really I’d like to cut it right on that blue line and attach it to a clean plug

910F6630-25EC-4065-95A3-49EC9CF60E2B.jpeg

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Bayer dip kills vermitid snails. Maybe you should've dipped the entire colony instead?

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate vermitid snails. I have the same issue with my frogspawn colony. I wish there was a way to get rid of these snails.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish there was a natural predator or even remedy to get rid of these pests.
Well sometimes coris Wrasse will nip at them but nothing naturally m wipes out the population that I’m aware of. Predators keep there numbers lower but so do less feedings because they self regulate according to food supply

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew about the food supply. And I am guilty of that. I know I shouldn't feed 2-3 times a day with the bio load I have. But these fish give me the puppy eye and I fall into their trap.

I didn't know about the Coris wrasse. Thanks for the info. I actually have an order in place for a Yellow Coris. Let's see if it actually does anything worthwhile to these snails.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew about the food supply. And I am guilty of that. I know I shouldn't feed 2-3 times a day with the bio load I have. But these fish give me the puppy eye and I fall into their trap.

I didn't know about the Coris wrasse. Thanks for the info. I actually have an order in place for a Yellow Coris. Let's see if it actually does anything worthwhile to these snails.
Some do some don’t but please update here either way to help others! Good luck! I feed 3-4 times just really small meals and yes because the dang puppy eyes I see all day haha

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back