Can I cure rocks in lake water? Do I need to do water changes?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a bucket of saltwater is as simple as going outside my backyard. I live on a lake.

I have rocks that were live, but I left them outside for a month completely dry because I redid the rock structure and had some extras.

So now the rocks have dead organic matter on them. They need to be cured before I can use them again.

I live on a dock, and I was thinking of adding the rocks in the lake, but the water was too deep and I don’t have any ideas on how I can tie a bucket without risking to lose the rocks.

anyway, do I need to do water changes on the rocks? I tested the lake water and there’s no ammonia or nitrates. The lake water looks green, but when removed it’s clear.
What’s the easiest way to do it? Do I need to do water changes?

How long is the process to cure the dead matter? I don’t want to cycle. I just don’t want to leech garbage it my tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring the lake to the rocks and not the rocks to the lake.

Be aware that your lake might be contaminated with oil, gas, other things from pleasure boats using the water

Oh wow. We have boats that use the lake. The rocks are in a brute trash can with the lake water right now.

Should I use RODI water instead?

also, The rocks should be cured when ammonia is 0?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id put em in a trash can with rodi and a pump for a week. Change the water. Add some white vinegar. Do that for a week. Back to fresh water. Let dry. Than i would start to cycle or cure it with sw and heat. I made not the lakes sw.
If it was an ocean or beach front id be more supportive. Lol
D

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Although the rocks will be sitting in nasty lake water for the night, they will be rinsed out in Tap and placed in RODI water to cure tomorrow.

we are good in this thread!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id put em in a trash can with rodi and a pump for a week. Change the water. Add some white vinegar. Do that for a week. Back to fresh water. Let dry. Than i would start to cycle or cure it with sw and heat. I made not the lakes sw.
If it was an ocean or beach front id be more supportive. Lol
D

what does the vinegar do?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use bleach?

honestly, I have a 300 gallon tank with live established rocks already. I don’t really care if there’s small nitrates or ammonia, my rocks will easily handle it.

I honestly want to spend 2 days to cure it. BRS did a rocks cure with bleach and week one had the same phosphates as week 7.

Can someone confirm with me? These rocks used to be in my tank and I left them outside on the ground for about a month. They were dry.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is perfectly fine to use to reset rocks. Just make sure they fully dry before using. And as mentioned, no splashless bleach or fragrance or any additives. Just plain old bleach.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This comes up from time to time. Do not put anything from our tanks into lakes/ocean/rivers. Although they have been sitting outside you are still running the risk of introducing an invasive species into that body of water. Most places will slap you with massive fines if they catch you.

Just for an example quagga and zebra mussels are extremely invasive and were introduced to the great lakes basin from the Caspian sea by ocean freighters. They are now spreading across north America due to recreational boaters. Those muscles can survive about a month out of water.

Please make sure anything thats not from your region or that body of water goes in the trash or down the drain (and not the storm water drain)

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. We have boats that use the lake. The rocks are in a brute trash can with the lake water right now.

Should I use RODI water instead?

also, The rocks should be cured when ammonia is 0?
Oil and gas floats to the surface, and I have an outdoor pond connected to my canal. Just pump some water from a few feet down and it should be fine!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back