Can I Cycle Bio block to get a headstart?

Vsrt17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looking to get some input on getting a headstart on my current build. I have some of the equipment but I'm still undecided on my DT and am saving up so I don't have my actual tank yet.

I do however have a 20 gallon I plan on using for quarantine down the road. My question is would it be possible/ a good idea to set that tank up like I would for quarantine but throw in a Brightwell block or similar in there with some bacteria and do a cycle on there in order to prepare for my main tank.

I plan on starting the new tank with dry rock which I already have but don't want to seed that since I still have to do my scape. I won't be using live anything to avoid any hitchikers. The plan would be to throw the Bio block in the new tank once set up and hopefully it would help seed my dry rock.

Any help appreciated

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions on the Brightwell biocubes actually state to do exactly that. Meaning adding Microbactr to a bucket before hand the night before. If you do this in your QT then same theory applies. You should probably feed the tank a bit to keep the bacteria doing its thing. Pics kind of small but this from the label for biocubes which is the material..
20201113_094048.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vsrt17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions on the Brightwell biocubes actually state to do exactly that. Meaning adding Microbactr to a bucket before hand the night before. If you do this in your QT then same theory applies. You should probably feed the tank a bit to keep the bacteria doing its thing. Pics kind of small but this from the label for biocubes which is the material..
20201113_094048.jpg

Any recommendations on wether to use a plate on the middle of the tank or some cubes inside the HOB.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the bio cubes inside of a HOB for the QT. In my display I have dual reactors in my sump with the bio cubes inside as instead of other filter media. Its worked for me very well. My setup is a fish only and the biocubes are my main biological filtration. For the blocks, anywhere would do its job similarly. I think it runs best with at least some passive water going through it for best results but just having the block in there would achieve results for sure similar to live rock.

Back