Can I dip a pink stylophora in peroxide?

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a pink stylo for CHEAP but it’s got a sizable patch of GHA growing on one part of it. Can I do a peroxide dip without harming the coral? And if so, just a typical 3% peroxide?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS hate peroxide in my experience. If the gha is on the plug... just cut it off the plug. Or cut off the dead part of the skeleton it is on.

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS hate peroxide in my experience. If the gha is on the plug... just cut it off the plug. Or cut off the dead part of the skeleton it is on.
It’s not on the plug it’s on the coral itself. And it doesn’t appear dead where the GHA is.

OP
OP
3rdMoon

3rdMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may just be able to manually remove with fingers and tweezers then.
I was thinking that too. Since I have no GHA in my tank currently, whatever strands I might miss shouldn’t take root. I mean, if conditions were optimal for GHA in my tank, I’d already have it right?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that too. Since I have no GHA in my tank currently, whatever strands I might miss shouldn’t take root. I mean, if conditions were optimal for GHA in my tank, I’d already have it right?
Hard to say, but if you have any herbivores, they would probably demolish any that was missed.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just remove it and I wouldn’t worry about it. GHA. I have never seen GHA grow on SPS that didn’t have a dead spot so idk. Might be missing tissue under it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'd do surgery like its a bad tooth and you had gums to avoid

set coral on counter use scalpel to debride the attached algae it will only be on bare skeletal patches anyway so be precise but rasp it all off leaving the bare spot and rinse away with warmed saltwater. work it like a tooth model in dentistry school for plaque busters

use perox on a q tip only, on that bare spot you made surgically, for cellular burn help and be prepared to repeat

set in lower light area and well fed, strong throughput low storage tank. in a mason jar we'd have it adhered to the sides unremovable by July.

do all this so you don't put peroxide on the good parts, my dentist doesn't rasp my gums just the same. well he does a little

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back